Please sign in to post.

London Underground

Arriving at Heathrow at 2.20 pm, on the underground for two seniors with carry on luggage is the best route to take the Piccadilly line to Hammersmith or Barons Court and change to the district line to Tower Hill? Or would the Heathrow express be better? Advice on ease of transfering and possibly knowing if seating will be difficult. Also would the same route be good on going back to Heathrow at the end of our trip?

Posted by
8667 posts

When are you going? Tickets for the Express are costly. However, its a 15 minute ride from LHR. Then you follow lines on the floor once you arrive at Paddington station to the Underground. From there to Tower Hill its a 30 minute ride on the Circle line.

You could also take the new Elizabeth Line to Whitechapel. Exit and then board a District Line change to Tower Hill.

No way to know how long your time in immigration will be.

Posted by
349 posts

That is how I did it in 2018. Piccadilly line to Hammersmith, get off and then you just walk a few steps to the other line. It was very easy. And since you get on the tube at the airport, which is the beginning of the line, you shouldn't have any trouble getting seats. I did this with my two daughters (9 and 14) and we all had carry ons.

Just retrace your steps to go back. (of course coming back the train will be a bit more crowded, since you're not starting at the beginning of the line) Have a great trip!

Posted by
8375 posts

Immigration at Heathrow is fairly quick with the e gates. How far your gate is away from immigration and how many planes arrive at once are the biggest variables on time.

Posted by
131 posts

If you are flying from 6 Nov, you can take Elizabeth line to Liverpool street and change to tower hill.

At present, it requires an additional stop at Paddington.

Elizabeth runs on the same route as Heathrow express.

Trips on Elizabeth line count towards your daily cap. It is likely the other journeys you make after arriving at tower hill would not cost anything extra.

The rolling stock is much more refreshing. Fewer stations. Quieter.

Posted by
1036 posts

Hammersmith is a great place to change from the Piccadilly to the District, as its a cross-platform transfer.

Heathrow Express is rarely a good idea, unless your hotel is within walking distance of Paddington.

As noted, Elizabeth Line to Liverpool Street will be your best option once the line becomes a through service.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you everyone. Hammersmith sounds good to me. I and my husband will be there June 2023. Flights are booked and hotel...so excited

Posted by
5326 posts

You are asking a long way ahead. By then the Elizabeth line will be direct from Heathrow through Central London and it may be quicker depending on your actual destination to go that way and exit or change at Whitechapel. It is a long slog in on the Picadilly Line but some people like it.