Please sign in to post.

London Trip around New Years 2017

We will be in London from Dec 30 through Jan 5th and are looking for some good ideas. Our 22 and 17 year old kids will be with us and we will be staying in an apartment rental in Pimlico near St. George Park. We have tickets for the New Year's Eve Fireworks. We love museums and theatre. Thanks for your help!

Posted by
16319 posts

I highly recommend the play " The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night.". I would not hesitate to take a 17-year-old ( they say it is suitable for 11+ so should not be an issue). There are tickets available for Jan. 2, 3, and 4.

http://www.curiousonstage.com/

For museums, one of our favorites when we were in London last May was the Science Museum---we went back three times after an initial cursory visit. Lots of exhibits on transport, communications, space ( they have the Apollo 10 capsule), and computer history.

This is right by the Victoria and Albert and the Natural History Museum, so you can sample all three to see which one draws you back.

Posted by
3771 posts

You will want to see the British Museum. Ancient Greek and Roman exhibits, ancient Britain exhibits, and more. It's huge, so use the directory and see the areas that interest you most, first. You could literally spend three days in there, and not see everything. It's great.

Posted by
15585 posts

London is chock-full with great museums. Some of the very best are free. The British Museum has 30 minute gallery talks through the day. Check with the info desk when you get there. The National Gallery and the National Portrait Gallery (including portraits of most of British "heros" and royalty throughout the centuries) are next to each other minutes from the theatre district (Leister Square), on Trafalgar Square. You can pop in for a short visit when you're there.

Oyster cards can save you money on the tube and buses. They are simple to use - the only confusing thing is how they are described on the website. The one-week pass may be best for you.

London Walks have excellent tours. Choose a theme that appeals to all of you. Their website has lots of details about the tours, the guides and some reviews too.

The best resource for theatre is theatremonkey.com - check it out for everything that's playing, which ones have discounted tickets (and where to buy them) and even which are the best and worst seats in each theatre.

Posted by
3103 posts

I hope the British Museum is less crowded in winter than in spring--summer--fall. Last time we were in London we went to see the Egyptian rooms and they were all so crowded it was claustrophobic, not fun. It was a regular mid-week day, not a holiday or anything. We sought refuge downstairs in the Africa room and that was almost empty--and wonderful.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you for all of the recommendations. I did mean St. George Square (not Park, sorry). Any suggestions on places to eat for a family of vegetarians? Also, we would love to do an afternoon tea. Any suggestions on reasonably priced, but yet authentic English tea, places? Thanks so much for the help!

Posted by
2 posts

You will surely enjoy your visit to this beautiful city especially during Christmas and New Years’ eve as the capital's jolly festivities add some sparkle to it. There is nothing more festive as London at Christmas and New Year time. Some of the best ways you can enjoy in London are visiting Hyde Park’s Winter Wonderland, Cheer on the festively-dressed teams at London's annual Great Christmas Pudding Race. ( all these activities will be liked by your kids).

Spend a leisurely New Year's Day at one of London's beautiful attractions ( many of which are open during the day on New Year’s Eve) or a refreshing walk around the city. Since you said you love museum, visit the Natural History Museum's and enjoy one last dance with Dippy at New Year’s Eve Ball, Head to Tate Britain on NYE for one of the last chances to see this year's Turner Prize showcase. All these will surely help you to explore and view the city in a different light. To get good insights about the city, you can refer the comprehensive guide of London aims to make travelling and commuting around London as least intimidating as possible. Enjoy your trip! https://www.thesqua.re/e-book

Posted by
5528 posts

I'll second the recommendation for "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time". I've seen it twice ... it was that good.

I really enjoyed the special exhibit at the V&A called, "So You Say You Want a Revolution". If you like 60s music, you will enjoy this exhibit about the intersection of music with politics, fashion, design, art, etc. as you rock out to really great music.

Posted by
5528 posts

With regard to places to eat for vegetarians ...

You can't go wrong with takeaway from Ottolenghi; they have lots of great vegetarian options. Just looking at the food photos on the website will make you drool. On the higher end, his restaurant Nopi is also delicious, although it can be pricey.

http://www.ottolenghi.co.uk/locations/

My favorite meal on my last trip was at "Honey and Co" which has some several great vegetarian options. Reservations are necessary.

http://honeyandco.co.uk

I also enjoyed The Palomar (reservations also necessary)
http://thepalomar.co.uk/food

Posted by
97 posts

Wow - what a great thread!

We are going to London around the same time. Flying standby so flexible on dates. Will it be crazy busy there that week? We could delay till after the 1st. We want to get some half price theatre tickets. Unlikely that week or more likely?

We haven't got reservations yet for lodging. We do museums and want to do theatre. Ideas for locations, travel heroes?

Thank you!