Please sign in to post.

London Trip

Hi all,
We are a family of 4 (kids 14 and 11) flying to London at 11am Thu and flying out the following Wed in the afternoon. Its a 6 night trip. Here is my itinerary I have revised after my prev post. We are staying in Southbank area.

Day 1: Arrive into London , check into hotel , get lunch. My plan is to visit London eye and take the river cruise. Last ride is at 4:45 but I am hesitant to buy any tickets but I am assuming we will be able to get on the 3:30 ride. From there walk/tube to Shakespeares globe and dinner at Shards.

Day 2: Hop on and off bus ride to meet the change of Gaurd walking tour, they cover parliament house, Westminster abbey about 2-3 hours. Lunch at Covent gardens . Churchill war rooms in the afternoon. Any suggestions for a High tea in this area? evening visiting an old friends in Sutton

Day 3: Tower of London and Tower bridge. Lunch in that area. I want to see if we can add the British museum. I have a made a list of what we want to see. Walk over to borough Market and meet up with friends for dinner

Day 4 : Guided tour to Bath and Stonehenge

Day 5 : Leave to Windsor have tickets for entry between 9:30am- 10am . We plan to be there for 2hrs [ my kids are not really royal enthusiasts ] we want to see it from a tourist stand point. I am hoping to be back in London Dinner and then Watch Mousetrap play in London West 7:30pm show

Day 6: We have tix to Harry Potter tour at 2:30pm; What can we do during the day?

Day 7 : Flight back to the US at 12:30pm at Gatwick. I assuming we get to the airport by 9:30-10am.

Any other suggestions or must see places I missed out?

Posted by
6713 posts

A couple of things re day 2: (1) The hop on hop off bus is a very inefficient and expensive way to get around the city. I suggest either a regular bus or the tube to get between your hotel and Buckingham Palace or wherever your walking tour starts. (2) Unless the tour ends close to Covent Garden, it's a long way to go between Westminster Abbey and the Churchill War Rooms just for lunch. There are plenty of places to eat in the Westminster neighborhood near both of those places.

Posted by
369 posts

I agree with Dick about the Hop on Hop off Bus. We did it in 2018 and were underwhelmed. I think it's a waste of time.

I've heard good reviews of afternoon tea at Fortnum and Masons. I've booked for our trip in May/June. Haven't been myself but I've watched a few vlogs and it looks really nice, if a bit expensive.

Posted by
8809 posts

I’m going to add to the chorus about London HOHO bus being a poor choice. I tried it last May and it was one big traffic jam taking loops that were very inefficient. We spent 15 just backtracking around one square. Never again!

Posted by
274 posts

We took our kiddo (5 at the time) to England and Scotland (including London) in November 2022. Your kids are older, but below are some kid-friendly things our son really enjoyed:

• Tower of London and the Crown Jewels. If you can (this doesn't really fit in with your plan to meet with friends for dinner at Borough Market), arrive as soon as the Tower opens and go straight to the Jewels. We were able to have the Jewel room all to ourselves (with the Beefeater guards) for 10-15 minutes before any other visitors showed up. When it's not busy, the Beefeaters are generally very willing to chat and answer questions. We had a great discussion with one about the upcoming Coronation.

• Changing of the Horse Guards. Rick describes this in his book. I've seen the full Changing of the Guard, but we did the Horse Guards with our kiddo because he could get up close to the action and we didn't have to worry about standing around early for a good spot.

• British Museum. I think it's impossible NOT to love this museum. They have a "Museum Missions" program that was a big hit with our kiddo. Not sure if it will be too 'young' for your kids.

• Trafalgar Square

• Hyde Park (specifically, the Italian Gardens and Princess Diana Memorial Fountain)

• Natural History Museum and the Science Museum (they're right next to each other, along with the V&A Musuem)

Posted by
9101 posts

Day 2: Hop on and off bus ride to meet the change of Gaurd walking tour, they cover parliament house, Westminster abbey about 2-3 hours. Lunch at Covent gardens . Churchill war rooms in the afternoon. Any suggestions for a High tea in this area? evening visiting an old friends in Sutton

Waaaaaaaay too much; 1.) as others have noted the hop on and off bus is a complete waste of time and money.
2.) what Changing of the Guard walking tour? Too see the ceremony you need to be in front of the Palace at least an hour ( if not more ) to secure a good viewing spot.
3.) when is your trip? Westminster will be closed to visitors in late April and early May as it prepares for the King’s Coronation on May 6.
4.) you can tour Parliament on your own; https://www.parliament.uk/visiting/visiting-and-tours/
5.) Churchill War Rooms is a timed entry. Book tix in advance. You could time entry to allow you to watch the Changing Of the Horse Guards. The parade grounds are adjacent to the War Rooms entrance.
https://www.householddivision.org.uk/queen-life-guard
6.) High tea is a meal. Afternoon tea is pastries, finger sandwiches. Not cheap but a wonderful
afternoon tea is served at The Rubens. I believe its the tea service most London visitors imagine.,