Please sign in to post.

London Travelcard Price rises in 2015 - Some oyster / contactless card caps fall

The prices for 2015 have been announced by TfL etc.

Some significant changes that affect the way many people here plan their trips, and advice given previously.

For example, the cheapest paper one day travelcard covering the central Zone 1 area will be £12. However, the 7-day Zone 1-2 travelcard has 'just' an inflation increase to £32.10. Therefore you may only need to be in London for 3 days for this to be cheaper than one day cards, if you are buying these at a railways station for the 2-for-1 offers.

On the other hand, daily caps on Oyster PAYG use have been reduced, for example in Zones 1-2 to £6.40 per day.

Since 25% of Oyster cards are refunded within a month and this churn is considered a waste of money, there will now be a forfeit of £3 of the deposit fee if an Oyster card is returned within 1 year of purchase.

There will be some kind of short term discounted version of the Oyster for the under 16s, recognising that the current application for a Zip card is onerous for a one off child visit.

There are many other large swings and roundabouts for people particularly in outer zones but these by and large are less used by visitors.

If the above all reads like gobbledegook don't worry. People are paid to come up with this stuff ... and the help here is free.

Full info here: https://www.london.gov.uk/sites/default/files/MD1418%202015%20Fares%20for%20submission%20%28signed%29%20PDF.pdf

Posted by
7399 posts

So for £3 you get a nice souvenir Oyster card, after your traveling is done.

Posted by
956 posts

Thanks, Marco! So if we buy our 7 day Travelcard before the 31st (we'll be there from 26 Dec to 4 Jan), we'll save a pound or two! Good to know.....

Posted by
956 posts

To be more precise, we'll save 70p. LOL

Posted by
5332 posts

Yes happy new year from TfL is traditionally a price rise on the first working day.

Posted by
8698 posts

The first Oyster Card I purchased had a image of William and Kate on it. Used it on subsequent visits but last year it went wonky and wouldn't read properly. The lovely man at the Kilburn Park tube station found my resistance to return it amusing. From my perspective, a perfect London remembrance. So I still have it!! Thanks for TFL update Marco. Traveling with first timers next year so good info to have and share.

Posted by
28 posts

Marco, from what I can tell it is a toss up to get a 7 day travel card. Did I read the fares correctly that on Monday to Sunday the fare is capped at a 7 day travel card rate? What we are trying to figure out is would it be better to just get a Oyster card with money on it and just pay as we go? We will arrive on a Saturday morning at 10:00 am. Hop on the Picadilly line and get off at Russell Square, off peak would cost 3.20 GBP and another when we return to Heathrow the following Sunday Morning. That leaves the possibility of traveling tube/bus for 8 days. 2 of those days will be spent on day trips out of London to the Dr. Who Expierence in Cardiff and the other to Harry Potter, which we will take the train. Our hotel is close Euston Station and British Museum. We will probably only use transportation 2 - 4 times (not round trips) max when in London. So long explanation to ask is it worth it for the 7 day card or just pay as you go?

Posted by
5332 posts

Monday to Sunday capping happens with direct use of contactless credit / debit cards. Oyster has daily capping only.

Posted by
2081 posts

i love my Oyster cards. No way i will surrender them.

happy trails.