Please sign in to post.

London transportation

What is the cheapest/best way to get from St. Pancras station to Hammersmith tube stop with luggage?

Posted by
32885 posts

Hammersmith and City Line or Circle Line tubes, 25 minutes, £2.60 off-peak.

You could also take the Piccadilly Line. Same price, about the same time, both ways is 13 stops.

If you have a lot of luggage you might consider a cab. Much more expensive and no faster, possibly easier with a lot of luggage.

Posted by
153 posts

Traveling with luggage on a busy metro is not easy and fun and what with the stairs, and crowds. If you haven’t done this before, you might want to consider a taxi. The savings in frustration will more that offset any additional cost.

Posted by
32885 posts

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/taxis-and-minicabs/taxi-fares

You don't say when this would be for.

It is about 7 miles, and right now (5:30 on a Friday afternoon) it is taking between 45 and 60 minutes, according to Google Maps, and by the official table just above, by the folks who set the fares, it would be at least £35 when it hits 6 miles and you will be considerably more because of outside the 6 mile limit.

There is also an international webpage devoted to cab fares which I have never used and don't vouch for https://www.taxi-calculator.com/taxi-fare-london/296 which claims £26.50 - that sounds hugely low to me.

So how much luggage? How many people?

Posted by
32885 posts

the earlier reply referred to the Tube as metro. It is never called that here. St Pancras to Hammersmith can be done with no stairs using lifts and escalators. At the St Pancras Kings Cross end there are lifts to the platforms. At the Hammersmith end on the Hammersmith and City Line or Circle Line there is level access to the street. At the Hammersmith end on the Piccadilly Line there is lift access to the street. No stairs required.

Posted by
42 posts

Thank so much for the wonderful info. This is for June 3. Which is a Saturday. Google maps it at 5.5 miles so the cost would be at least 37£ for a taxi.

The tube might be best for us.

Posted by
32885 posts

June 3 2022 is the Friday at the beginning of the Platinum Jubilee celebrations.

All bets are off - tube will probably be very busy, cabs will likely have diversions and traffic may well be heavy.

Be prepared to be patient.

Posted by
4051 posts

Nigel, I could be wrong, having run out of fingers to count on, but I don't think anyone has ever seen a platinum GB jubilee.
Anyhow, I always find the Transport for London site an essential planning tool throughout the London region:

https://tfl.gov.uk/

Posted by
32885 posts

I don't think anyone has ever seen a platinum GB jubilee.

never before. unique

and not to be repeated, at least not for some time. Charles, way too old, Wills, too old. If it fell right (we don't wish that), George might have a chance, but a bit remote...

Both Victoria, who had a very long reign, but not as long as now, and Elizabeth II acceded to the throne very young. It makes a difference if you want to be on the throne 70 years.