Please sign in to post.

London trains

We are taking a train from London to Manchester to tour the stadium and also London to Windsor to tour the castle. Any recommendations on where to buy tickets for the train? Should we buy ahead of time? I was checking on Trainline.com and they are very pricey.

Also, I am buying a Go City pass and I am unclear if I need reservations for the Tower of London, Westminster Abbey and Kensington palace? Anyone know?

Posted by
8672 posts

Never heard of a Go City pass for London and I’ve traveling to and staying there since 1972.

Sounds like something directed at first visitors. What does it say it’s good for?

When is your trip?

Posted by
5755 posts

For @Claudia and anyone else here is the GoCity Pass- https://gocity.com/en/london

Have you really done the maths to see if it makes sense? I am very sceptical.

It depends on when you are travelling as to whether you NEED reservations. Certainly at this time of year you don't- irrespective of what the attraction websites imply- you only have to watch the live website ticket counts to see how many places remain available at short notice. Later in the year reservations may become more needed.

As regards the train to Manchester how far out are you looking? If more than about 12 weeks then sure it's pricey. Look within that timeframe and Advance Tickets on most trains are £32. For 200 miles of travel.

A month beforehand will get you those prices. If travelling at a weekend the timescale for release is often shortened to around 6 weeks.

Ideally book from the train operator- Avanti West Coast. If there are issues with US credit cards on their website then book with either LNER or Northern Rail- they both accept US credit cards and sell the same tickets at the same price without the 3rd party commission charged by the trainline.

If £32 seems too expensive (and it's not) do as I often do and take a slower LNWR semi fast train to Crewe at 46 minutes past each hour for £10.50 Off Peak Advance, switch trains at Crewe; then take a Northern train to Manchester at 46 and 16 minutes past each hour- £3.70 Advance Single.

Overall the journey is around 90 minutes longer doing it that way- as a Visitor is it worth it to save £18? Only you can answer that question.

Posted by
32765 posts

I never heard of a go city pass either. Glad that Stuart has all the gen.

From a purely theoretical point of view, just wondering you understand, for cheap would it not be as easy to change at Stoke on Trent as at Crewe, and take one of the trains in the bay platform? I haven't looked but I used to work trains around there and it sounds lo me like it makes sense.

Posted by
876 posts

You say that you are going to Manchester to tour the stadium. You will need to be clear about which stadium you are planning to tour. Whilst there are cricket and rugby stadiums and a couple of smaller football stadiums I imagine that you mean one of the two Premier League clubs - United or the currently much more successful City.

Posted by
5755 posts

Going via Stoke and changing on to the hourly Northern service from the bay road would save may be £3 or £4 as Northern do advance singles from Stoke to Crewe.
On a quick look I can't find advance LNWR fares Euston to Stoke, like there are to Crewe. Not saying they don't exist but I can't find them. I'm sure they used to exist. Maybe they vanished in December as on LNWR since December you now change at Stafford onto the truncated Stafford to Crewe via Stoke shuttle train.
I can only find Avanti advance fares to Stoke.
Although my £18 day rover ticket from West Cumbria to Manchester and Crewe is also valid as far South as Stoke (direct via Manchester) it's not a route I have ever thought of using. I sometimes use that £18 ticket as a single or to give a stop over or local diversion in Manchester on the way South or north. It also gets me to Edale on the Sheffield line.

The other cheaper way is East Midlands Trains Advance from St Pancras to Sheffield, then a Northern Advance Sheffield to Manchester via the Peak District on the all stations trains. A slow route but very scenic.
That route looks to be cheaper than the via Stoke route.

Posted by
3758 posts

You don't need any kind of pass.
Not the "Go City" or anything else.
For the Tower of London (and other sights) you can just go to their website and buy tickets.

Here's your other thread in which you were asking about buying the London Pass:
https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/england/first-time-to-london-d64cdf3e-a9b7-4dc0-8b68-9d424e44db09

One of the reasons you don't need any kind of pass in London is that so many things are free, such as museums, or taking a walk by the river, or going to Borough Market (well, you'll pay for food obviously).

The pass you're asking about this time seems rather expensive for what you get.

Passes of this kind cover a lot of sights but if you buy a one day pass, what's the use in it covering 109 sights?
You don't have time to get to 1/10th of them in one day.

You come out just as well buying tickets for the attractions you want and doing a lot of free sights.

Posted by
15012 posts

Be aware that on many weekends, engineering works on train lines do take place. This can disrupt the schedule so you might want to plan your trip to Manchester on a weekday.

Is this a one day round trip or do you plan to stay in Manchester?

Instead of Trainline, which is a third party reseller, use the National Rail website. It's the official one. If you see a train you like, click on it and it will take you to the operating company. It's always best to buy direct.

For Windsor, just show up and buy your ticket at the station.

Posted by
29 posts

Some friends of ours got the Go city pass and were really happy with it, which is why we looked into it. I’ll reconsider if you are all saying it is not necessary. Thx for the advice!

In regards to the stadium Tour, we are touring Old Trafford, as Man U is my sons favorite team. We are heading to London April 1-7 and tickets for a round trip on the train on a this it’s day are running $750-800 for 4 tickets. This was why I was asking about other options. If we could find something for 50 pounds or less would be awesome.

Posted by
5755 posts

Right, we have a problem.

Announced today is a strike on Avanti West Coast on April 5, and an overtime ban on April 4 and 6.

No trains will run on the 5th, and there will be short notice cancellations on the 4 and 6. On 1 April (Easter Monday) there is substantial disruption due to Engineering work, so I sure hope your tour is booked for 2 or 3 April.

If you travel on 3 April (at what is fairly short notice) on the 0853 ex Euston, arrive Man Pic 1105, and pretty much any afternoon train back, using Advance Singles in each direction you will get this for £80 each (c$96)- valid on specific timed trains only.

That is the best you will get at this notice if it is just there and back for the day, no time for scenic routes or clever cost saving routes.

If your tour was in the afternoon the first National Express bus leaves London Victoria at 0700 daily, arrives Manchester 1220, and lots of buses back, From £10 per person each direction.

Posted by
4044 posts

Always fall back on Man in Seat 61 for railroad planning.

Old Trafford is certainly worth a visit through the dressing rooms, small museum and large gift shop. It is in a suburb so it will be wise to research the municipal transit from your train or hotel.
I took the tram but had to walk several blocks with little in the way of street directions.

Posted by
876 posts

Southam- you probably made the mistake of going to the tram stop called Old Trafford. This is named after the cricket ground of the same name that is right next to the stop. The football ground is a straight walk , up the side of the cricket ground and keep walking. Wharfside or Exchange Quay stops are both nearer the football ground but on different tram lines.

Posted by
5755 posts

If you look on Google maps you will see a Manchester United Football Ground station. Do not trust Google maps, that was only ever a match day station. It is currently not in use, although not technically closed.
There is also bus #250 every 12 minutes from Piccadilly Gardens in central Manchester, run by double decker buses. As you are trying to save money, buy a Manchester plus bus with your train tickets, and that is your cheapest way to get there. Journey time is 20 minutes.

Posted by
70 posts

Forget Trainline and go on www.nationalrail.co.uk cheapest tickets are called Advance and limit you to a specific train (unless yours in cancelled). You can save a third by buying a railcard for £30, or a two together railcard for £30 for the two of you. I can see a price of £99.60 for a random day in May, return for the two of you with a railcard discount so add £30 to that. That would give you 6.5 hours in Manchester.