Please sign in to post.

London to Windsor

I have just arrived in London and want to visit Windsor Castle on Monday, Sept. 5 (backup date Thursday, Sept. 8). I am staying at the Premier Inn Holborn, 27-29 Red Lion Street. I would like to arrive around 9 am so that I can hopefully do a 9:30 am tour. I am comfortable navigating the Tube, but it appears that several other modes of transportation may be necessary. I'm looking for a simple but not expensive route (i.e., not a taxi). Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by
2510 posts

From your hotel walk to Holburn Underground station.

Take the Central line westbound to Oxford Circus (2 stops).

From Oxford Circus take the Bakerloo line northbound to Paddington (5 stops).

From Paddington take the train to Windsor.

Posted by
11159 posts

We took a train that went almost all of the way there and then switched to a local train for a very short ride there. We enjoyed Windsor Castle especially St. George’s Chapel.

Posted by
6547 posts

The train is generally seamless unless, like happened with us, somebody decides to jump onto the tracks from an overpass. That messed things up both getting there and returning.

Posted by
8447 posts

There are two train stations in Windsor, served by different trains from London. So directions will differ.

Posted by
5326 posts

Journey takes a little over an hour. Travel via Paddington and take a faster GWR train to Slough rather than an Elizabeth Line one (and then take the train from there to Windsor). No need to buy tickets, if you are using a contactless form of payment, just tap in/out along the route as needed.

Posted by
13 posts

Thanks to everyone for your input. I went to Windsor Castle this morning. I had a great time. The Castle was spectacular. I was just disappointed that photography was not permiited inside buildings. I walked to Holborn Underground, took the Central Line to Oxford Circus, transferred to the Bakerloo line to Paddington, where I transferred to a train to Windsor & Eaton Central.