Please sign in to post.

London to Southampton cruise port

Looking for recommendations for private transportation from our hotel in London to the Port in Southampton. We found someone for about $100 (USD) PP. Wondering if anyone has used anyone else that they would recommend for a similar cost….

TIA

Posted by
5841 posts

It makes very little sense to pay for a car transfer when a frequent train service runs from London Waterloo for the 80 mile journey to Southampton, then there is a taxi rank at the station for the less than one mile transfer to the Cruise Terminal- a transfer many people actually walk, even with luggage.
Standard class train fares start from under £16, and even first class fares from £24, if booked in advance.
There are also coaches from London Victoria Coach Station- Southampton Coach Station is closer still to the port.
The train is actually likely to get you there faster than by car, or certainly no slower.
The 1005 train will reach Southampton at 1122, jump in a cab. You'll be at the port just after 11.30, by which time embarkation will not have even started, on most lines.
Cruise forums recommend staying in Southampton the night before the cruise, as extra assurance against anything at all going wrong on the way.. Then you can have late checkout- a very lazy start. Southampton hotels are far better value than London ones, and several which are basically straight outside the port gates.

Posted by
890 posts

If that car quote is for two people I would be somewhat suspicious of it. If it's for 3 or 4 then it's beliveabale but expensive. As others have pointed out it is both way more expensive than the train and quite possibly slower too.

Posted by
127 posts

We are choosing a car service because it is what we prefer to do over a train or bus. I am simply asking if there are any companies that anyone has had personal experience with for us to use. Thanks!
(And yes, the $100 is pp/per person)

Posted by
890 posts

As I pointed out it’s difficult to offer any sense of value for that price without knowing how many people that quote is for. For 2 at £160 it sounds too cheap for me. For 4 it would be too much.
I’ve never done it but the likes of Blackberry and Parker Cars are usually reliable.
Whoever you choose it is a slow and tedious journey.

Posted by
32816 posts

aha - through the cruise line accounts for the huge price

Most private hire (in other words car and driver) in the UK is so much for the car and distance, not per person unless things have changed.

If that makes you comfortable - do it.

Posted by
199 posts

I used the following company last year. It was an excellent service. The driver, Paul Cregeen, was punctual, arriving at my hotel even a bit early.
He was respectful and polite during the ride. The taxi was very clean and of course, spacious. I had him pick me up at 8:30am from my central London hotel. We arrived in Southampton at my ship's baggage drop off around 10:30 am-10:45 am. I wanted to beat the traffic in Southampton and possibly get on the ship earlier. I was so pleased that I made a reservation again for later this year. This year, because of the increase in gas prices, the price is £255, I didn't think to ask if that was for 1 passenger or just for the ride. I will be traveling alone.

I know this is a lot, but I used another private car company another time and that company was even higher. I know the trains are cheaper and faster and I used to take them to Southampton, but now I need to spare my poor joints. I'll save on something else.

Licensed London Taxi Tel: + 44 (0) 7519 055 741
email: enquiries@licensedlondontaxi.co.uk
Online@ www.licensedlondontaxi.co.uk

Good luck! I hope this helps.