Please sign in to post.

London to Oxford

Will be in London and taking teen grand daughter. Want to see Oxford. Think best to take a tour with knowledgeable person? Should we sign up for tour or train direct as on campus they have walking tours??? Thanks!! You all terrific!! Diane

Posted by
4684 posts

London to Oxford by train or coach is very, very easy. Either train from Paddington, or coach from Victoria via the Oxford Tube or X90 Oxford Express. I would pick a tour in Oxford rather than a coach tour from central London.

Posted by
5309 posts

You also now have the option of taking the train from Marylebone as well.

Posted by
186 posts

Take a train on your own from London to Oxford. There is a great city tour that departs from the main Oxford TI office. Rick's book has lots of Oxford tips. It's a great walking city with gorgeous cathedrals.

Posted by
88 posts

Thank all if you!!! So wonderful to get such great tips!!!
Diane

Posted by
14799 posts

If London Walks is offering one of their day tours to Oxford, you might consider taking it.

You meet the guide in London and take the train with him to Oxford. I did this many years ago and truly enjoyed it. (Although in those days, it was just a walking tour.)

Posted by
32508 posts

If your and her idea is to see some of the colleges - a GREAT idea - be aware that most are closed to the public in the morning and at exam time. When do you intend to go?

Posted by
88 posts

Good point. Will find out if in class. We hope to visit Friday April 7. Wonder if they are on Spring Break so we could take a school tour? The school tour may be closed too??

Posted by
88 posts

Good point as may be closed to public if classes are in session. Will be visiting April 7 Friday. Not sure if on school break. Thank you!!!

Posted by
5309 posts

Hillary Term finished on 25 March and Trinity doesn't start until 20 April. Parts of colleges though can be closed at any time for various functions.

Posted by
41 posts

Catch the train from London to Oxford (about £15 return, takes about 1hr) and buy a ticket on the Hop on - Hop off bus which leaves from Oxford train station. It might be cheaper if you brought the bus ticket on-line. There are any amount of guided walking tours operating from Oxford.

Posted by
330 posts

I've been there with my daughter twice. Check out the Christ Church website for opening hours. They have docents around to explain things too.
http://www.chch.ox.ac.uk/

Sometimes the Great Hall is closed for lunch for the students or an event.

I had heard there are student led tours of the city. Check with their city visitor's info. We stopped at an info area and received a nice map. I believe we research with the DK book and Fodor's.

We took the train from London. Great day out.

Have fun.

Posted by
4684 posts

There is no point in getting a bus from the station to central Oxford as it's an easy walk. If you do have difficulty walking, get the public bus rather than spending much more on a sightseeing bus.

Posted by
6428 posts

I hope Diane and her granddaughter had a great tour of Oxford last month as they'd planned. If there were any hitches or problems with following advice given on this thread, I hope she shares them with us.