Please sign in to post.

London to Manchester

We will be visiting London next Spring for the first time. We are planning a day trip from London to Manchester. I am thinking the train there and back but when we get to Manchester is Uber or Taxi a good option. We would even consider a tour guide if available. My Mother in Law (no longer with us) was born in Manchester and we would like to visit her old neighborhood but also would like to see some sights. Help is greatly appreciated:)

Posted by
5827 posts

There is also the Greater Manchester metrolink (trams/streetcars) and a comprehensive service bus network. That bus network is currently being brought under City Council control with unified branding.
Separate from the government £2 bus fare scheme Manchester has it's own £2 scheme- or £5 for the day.

But if arriving by train you can also purchase a 'plus bus' fare with your train ticket for all buses- not trams-
https://www.plusbus.info/manch-stns

What part of Manchester was your mother-in-law born in? That might help us give advice on that aspect.

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you for the quick response:)

The last address we have is in the Withington area. It appears that may be quite a distance from the city of Manchester. Thus the question. A bus would be ideal but it may take several transfers.

Posted by
8154 posts

it's a 200 mile trip from London to Manchester.

The train trip is 2:11 from London Euston station to Manchester Picadilly station on Avanti West Coast train.

Posted by
5827 posts

I passed through Withington yesterday on my way to the airport.
There are around a dozen bus routes there from the City centre, as well as the tram route.
Two, may be three of those routes, are from the airport.
Any family burials are more than likely in the Southern Cemetery, also on my line of route yesterday. That is the largest cemetery in the UK and the second largest in Europe. I have family burials in there. Their index is searchable online and plans are also on line, making grave finding easy.
At one time I commuted London to Bolton, the other side of Manchester, at least weekly, sometimes two or even 3x weekly, on the train. And got a full eight hours day work done at that end.
Three trains every hour.I

Posted by
15067 posts

I spend a lot of time in Manchester--I was there two weeks ago--and have taken the train between London and Manchester often.

Uber is very popular in Manchester and I have never had to wait more than a few minutes for a car to show up. Prices were extremeley reasonable.

I normally stay just north of Withngton and the Uber fare won''t be much. I paid under 5 GBP from the university area to Manchester Piccadlly two weeks ago. It shouldn't be that much more for your destination.

Most of the sites in Manchesterr are either in or near the downtown area which has an extensive network of buses and trams. Again you could always take Uber as the area is fairy compact. Its also surprising how short a walk you may find your destinations.

There are two free bus routes that pass most of the sites and and they're for tourists and shoppers. They each start and end at Manchester Piccadilly. However, they can get crowded.

https://tfgm.com/public-transport/bus/free-bus

Posted by
890 posts

You would be wise to book your train travel well ahead of time. You will want to maximise your time in Manchester but the early trains from Euston will be very expensive if you don’t get Advance tickets. These are usually available up to 12 weeks before (the exact times seem to vary at the moment and can be much shorter at weekends).

With Advance tickets you must travel on the trains you book or you lose them, but that shouldn’t be an issue for you. Book at avantiwestcoast.co.uk.