Please sign in to post.

London to Edinburgh, Scotland in August, 2014

Planning to take the train from London to Edinburgh. Which is the best site to buy tkts from US, also some advice with accommodation in Edinburgh. Need help with itinerary in Edinburgh for 2 full days. Thanks.

Posted by
1265 posts

Suchda - I like to use www.nationalexpresseastcoast.com to purchase train tickets. The sooner you can commit to a travel date to Edinburgh, the cheaper the tickets will be. For lodging in Edinburgh I liked Mingalar(www.mingalar.eu). It's about a 15 minute walk from Waverly station. The owner Clive is extremely knowledgablity about the goings on in Edinburgh. Also one of my favorite places to eat in Edinburgh is Oink.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you so much. I couldn't book my tickets yet as my departure date is on Aug 24 and return on Aug 27. In a few days, it will be available. I found that " Family ad Friends Rail Card " gives me an option which gives me almost 50% off of my 4 train tkts, my wife, me and two children of 5 and 15 y old during this travel time. I don't know if I'm eligible to purchase this Railcard as a US citizen.

Posted by
970 posts

Don't know about that "Family" discount, but tickets are typically available at substantial discounts if you buy early in the timeframe you are looking at.

Take the East Coast Line from Kings Cross in London and sit on the right to get a few nice views of the coast up north.

You'll arrive at Waverly Station in the center of Edinburgh. A range of hotels is within a few blocks walking distance/very short cab trip, mostly uphill. B&B's are typically a cab or a bus ride distant.

Posted by
5326 posts

There are no restrictions by nationality on rail cards. You can buy them when in the UK to go with tickets already purchased, but must have them when travelling.

Your journey takes place on an English Bank Holiday weekend, so the cheaper tickets may well sell out quickly once they are released.

Posted by
58 posts

Hi,
In 2011, we did Edinburgh to London by rail, bought tickets on line British rail site. Printed them out at station day of trip. We stayed in Edinburgh at Holiday Inn Express on Cowgate. It is a block off Royal mile, just your typical holiday inn rooms, clean, good service, but fantastic location. Some rooms even have view of Arthur's Seat. Easy walk to castle in one direction, Holyrood, in other. If your walker, rail station not that far. We took taxi because of luggage. Have a great trip. I'm going to London in September.
Sharon

Posted by
67 posts

If you haven't purchased yet, consider using the savings to upgrade to first class! First class early bird tickets are still very affordable!