Please sign in to post.

London to Bath

My husband and I are spending two weeks in England. We arrive on August 17th at 9pm at Heathrow but want to go to Bath the next morning. Our plan is to spend from the 18th to around the 22nd based in Bath, exploring Bath and taking day trips to Stonehenge, Glastonbury, and the Costwolds. Then, on the 23rd, we'll take a bus or train to Oxford and spend two days and one night there. From there, we'll go to London and spend the last six days there exploring London, going to Windsor and perhaps Hever Castle.

Since it will be too late to travel to Bath the night we arrive, our plan is to spend the night at a hotel near Heathrow, wake up early and take a train or bus to Bath on the 18th.

Does anyone have suggestions for a hotel near Heathrow but also near the train and bus stations?

Is the train quicker than the bus even if we have to transfer trains?

Where would we get the bus or train?

Also, I'd like input about weather. Very few hotels in Bath have air conditioning, and I don't sleep well when it's hot. There is one hotel that has ceiling fans but it's more expensive. Is it worth it to have at least the fans?

Posted by
2450 posts

The train for Bath leaves from Paddington Station, which is reachable from Heathrow via the Heathrow Express train (direct) or the subway (transfer required).

Posted by
5327 posts

If taking the Railair coach to Reading, if you book online in the window 2-3 months before your journey you will make a small saving. It is an even bigger one if you are going to do a return trip which is not the case by your itinerary.

It is a time and money saver if you are landing at T5 and a money saver if at T2/3. If you are coining into T4, well bad luck ...