Please sign in to post.

London Theatre

I have a few questions regarding the theatre in London. We plan to do the RS 7 day London tour with a full day at the start and a couple days after the tour is over. I know we will want to see something and I am leaning towards Phantom of the Opera. I know it has been running in London for forever and it appears the last date will be our first day in London. I am rather fond of Phantom. Does this current cast of Phantom make the show "not to be missed"? What are the chances the show will extend its engagement? After running for 30 years I'm sure it is possible it will be extended and I'd rather not have our arrival evening spent in a dark theatre. I'm sure my husband would sleep through it!

What other shows should we not miss? I have season tickets to 2 of our theaters here in St Louis so I'm not a stranger to musicals. In fact, I love them. We've seen Phantom twice but not for many years. I've seen Wicked 3 times, twice at home and once in NYC. It looks like the Globe theatre stops running on our arrival day as well so I know there is no way we could handle both shows in one day.

I appreciate any advice!

Posted by
15591 posts

Start with a few minutes on theatremonkey.com for all the news and everyhting you need to know about London theatre.

Posted by
92 posts

I am sorry I can't help with any information about the current cast or production of Phantom in London, but if you really want to go, then buy tickets in advance and go, with the caveat that on my first night in London, I never go to the theatre as I'd fall asleep.

For me, the must see performances in London are productions I would not be able to see where I live. We do get a lot of the touring musicals, so I tend to skip those in favor of straight drama.

The Globe has both outdoor and indoor (Wanamaker) productions so check the dates carefully. The seats in both are not terribly comfortable, so be prepared. In fact, I always stand for the outdoor performances. It's easier on my bad back and you can't beat the price: five pounds a ticket.

I know nothing about theatre vouchers. If it's a show I must see, I buy tickets ahead of time, from the theatre's website only, often months before the trip. If I am willing to take my chances, I buy from the theatre's box office in person, or take potluck at the TKTS booth in Leicester Square. Don't use any other reseller in the Leicester Square area.

I would check to see what is running that you might be interested in. There are some London theatre websites you can look at (just Google London theatre), and the Theatre Monkey website has great info, but I just go to the websites of each theatre to check their season. My list always includes, but is not limited to:

The National Theatre
The Globe
Almeida
Barbican
Old Vic
Young Vic
Trafalgar Studios
Royal Court Theatre
Donmar Warehouse
Southwark Playhouse
Wilton's Music Hall
Tricycle Theatre

We certainly have done a matinee and a evening performance on the same day, although again, I can't advise this on arrival day!

Hope you find something you will enjoy and that you have a good holiday.

Posted by
8683 posts

In over 40 years of traveling to London and always seeing theatre I've only booked advanced tickets twice.

Last November to see Ed Harris and Amy Madigan in Buried Child at the Trafalgar Theatre and in 1999 to be certain we didn't miss the chance to see Dame Maggie Smith in Lady in the Van.

Otherwise it's a visit to the Leicester Square 1/2 price ticket booth for same night tickets. Before the digital age you wouldn't know what shows would have tix available. Now you can look online.

To this day I will swear that the revival presentation of the quintessential American musical Guys and Dolls at the National theatre in 1996 was one of the best nights of theatre I've ever enjoyed. Clive Rowe's turn as Nicely Nicely singing Sit Down Your Rocking The Boat brought down the house. Memorable night.

Look here https://www.londontheatre.co.uk to see what's on during your dates. When you arrive start looking at the Leicester Square 1/2 price ticket website http://www.tkts.co.uk/ to see if a musical you'd like to see has available tix. Buy your tickets in the morning and look forward to theatre that evening.

GREAT city. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
137 posts

We're also very fond of musicals. I've seen quite a few on Broadway, including most of those you've mentioned - Phantom 3 times. It was my favorite of all time until I saw Les Miserables. We're heading to London in mid-May and have already purchased our tickets to see Les Mis at the Queen's Theatre because I wanted to procure good seats as my husband has never seen the play, only the movie. The musical far outshines the movie.

Theatremonkey.com is a great tip. It helped us get the best seats for the price we wanted to pay.

Posted by
731 posts

Thanks for those tips.....I'm off to check out theatermonkey. I really enjoyed Les Mis the three times I've seen that too.

Posted by
16893 posts

Kathy, I haven't asked the tour department, but I don't see any mention of "theater vouchers" on the current web description of the Best of London tour. I do see this: "This evening is free and perfect for the theater (book a popular show in advance from the Colonies or pick up a ticket in London)." If you've found conflicting info, feel free to contact the Tour Department at 425-608-4217 or email tour@ricksteves.com.

Posted by
731 posts

Laura,
I've revised my original post. I don't know where i read the voucher information but it definitely isn't there. Thank you for the heads up.

Posted by
2455 posts

Kathy, when I was in London in 2015, I got groundling tickets at the Globe for Merchant of Venice well in advance from the States, great experience although tiring standing until late in the evening. Other than that, I decided my theater priorities would be shows that were British rather than American, upbeat not depressing dramas, and ideally plays I had not seen before. I was very happy with my choices of War Horse and Billy Elliott, both at discounted prices. If that helps.