Please sign in to post.

London Theater

We arrive in London 6 AM July 3. We have nothing planned so far on that day. Museums etc. the next few days, so busy. So I was thinking maybe see a show (we like musicals). My question is - is this too ambitious? Next question is are there any particularly great shows OR great theaters that we should aim for? Thinking SIX (wives of Henry VII), Come From Away, My Fair Lady, Mamma Mia. Trying to make day 1 pretty easy but not waste it doing nothing. All recommendations and suggestions welcome!

Posted by
8663 posts

Do you suffer jet lag?

Where in London is your accommodation?

Are you walkers?

Asking these questions to better advise what else besides theatre might be doable.

Posted by
304 posts

Jet lag is definitely a consideration. Sitting a dark theatre will likely put you to sleep fast. That said you should definitely see a show while you’re in London. Of the ones you mention I strongly recommend Come From Away.

Posted by
347 posts

I just saw Come From Away in London last week. It was brilliant!

If you are long legged, I suggest springing for a box seat with chairs as the seats in the Phoenix theater are short on leg room. I, at 5' tall, was glad to have an aisle seat.

Posted by
317 posts

You've gotten some really good advice and questions here.

Seeing a show in London is something that should very definitely be on everyone's "London to-do" list IMO. It is also very definitely doable on your first day. But as Claudia and the others have said - jet lag is certainly a consideration and may temper your appreciation of whichever production you choose. If you are staying further out, getting into the city and theater is something to be mindful of - doubly so if this is your first time in London. Are you walkers? Are you familiar with public transport in London?

Posted by
1036 posts

Have you considered Matilda: The Musical? Its incredible, only on in London (closed on Broadway). Six would be amazing, but harder to get as its so new.

If you're not sure how you'll feel, you don't HAVE to plan in advance. We often use the TKTS booth in Leicester Square to see what's cheap and available that day. For example, today's musical listings include: Book of Mormon, Cinderella, Come From Away, Dear Evan Hansen, Grease, Heathers, Legally Blonde, Mamma Mia, Matilda, Les Mis, My Fair Lady, Wicked (https://officiallondontheatre.com/tkts/?show-genre=musical).

Posted by
23 posts

We saw Moulin Rouge on Broadway and loved it so much we got tickets for when we are in London.

Posted by
8663 posts

I love seeing theatre on each visit to London. You’ve gotten great recommendations. However, i still think you’d be better served staying outside to fend off jet lag.

How about visiting Brick Lane?

Or Old Spitalfields. Or Maltby Market. Or Camden Lock market then follow the Regents Canal Path.

Or walking through Hyde Park to Kensington Palace.

Or taking a graffiti tour
https://alternativeldn.co.uk/

Or take a London Walk. www.walks.com

Or stroll around and become familiar with whatever London neighborhood your accommodation is located in. Find a market for bottled water, candy, etc. Find a place for morning coffee and a nosh. Locate a bank ATM if you want to get some £’s. Pinpoint the closet pharmacy. If you’ll need to do laundry seek the closest launderette. Locate the closet tube station.

Look for a Pret Manger. Get takeaway. If there is a nearby park enjoy it. Picnic.

After you’ve checked in and have freshened up see how you feel. If food is desired then locate a pub or a restaurant/cafe that looks good or engage in the picnic concept.

Do not pressure yourself on your first day. You are on vacation. Relax.

Great city. Enjoy your time there.

Posted by
17 posts

Thanks to everyone on their advice. If staying outside will help get us through jet lag, then maybe we will do the cruise on the Thames. I had thought of the Victoria & Albert Museum but that would be an inside activity as well, although we would not be sitting so that may help. We are staying in the Pimlico area. I have been reading all I can about handling mass transit since I am not used to it (other than 2x a year when visiting my son in Atlanta).
Just trying to get "stuff" in and we have ALL day Sunday since our flight gets in at 5:50 AM.

Posted by
5515 posts

Just trying to get "stuff" in and we have ALL day Sunday since our flight gets in at 5:50 AM.

There are not many shows that have performances on Sunday. Personally, I would fall asleep in the theatre on my arrival day but YMMV.

I tend to take a walking tour (London Walks) on my arrival day as it keeps me moving and out in the fresh air.

Of the shows you’ve listed, I’ve seen 3 of them in London pre-covid
a) Come From Away - Excellent.
b) Mamma Mia (back in 2000) - Very fun for an Abba fan
c) Six - Clever lyrics. The song ”Get Down” sung by Anne of Cleves is a real ear worm.

I’ve seen most of the long running shows in London over the years. I’d go with what appeals to you. Everyone has their favorites. If you like plays, you might specifically want to check what is playing at the National Theatre or the Old Vic.

Posted by
8663 posts

Riding the London Underground is a breeze. Once you are checked in and refreshed head out to explore the neighborhood around your accommodation. Find the closest market, coffee shop, and tube station. Enter the tube station and walk towards the attendant window. May or maybot be manned and there may or may not be a small pocket size tube map. If there are some grab a couple. Or look on line via the tfl website.

Also while in the tube station examine the large tube map. Each tube line has a name and a color. For example the Central Line is red.

Cheers

Posted by
1322 posts

Once you are checked in and refreshed

Will you be able to get into your room to fresh up?

Usually we just leave our bags in the hotel (sometimes for a small fee) and head out - not fresh, which is another reason to stay outdoors.