Please sign in to post.

London Neighborhood

Hi,

My husband and I will be taking the RS London tour (December 26th - January 1st and staying in the Mayfair neighborhood). We are going early and spending Christmas there too. We are having a hard time deciding on where to stay for the first part of our trip. Due to the holiday, we are trying to find a place with an oven and hopefully a washer and dryer. We are currently looking at a few AirBnB's in Chelsea, Bloomsbury, and Pimlico. We are also looking at the Go Native Monument hotel based on a recommendation I found here. We don't mind being a bit outside of the "touristy" areas, as long as there's public transportation near by. We do like to be in an area that has a restaurant, bakery/grocery, or a pub near by. With the neighborhoods I listed above, do you have a recommendation? Or is there another area in London we are missing? I know I did not list a lot of our likes/things we want to see, but that is due to us taking the tour. Thank you for your help!

Mollie

Posted by
8674 posts

Not knowing your budget but reading your " needs, " I saw a an AirBnb flat in West Kensington that ticks all the boxes.

West Kensington is a nice, quiet residential neighborhood with easy access into London on public transport. Description of this flat reads, Sunny, Spacious & Stylish West Kensington Flat. Stellar reviews.

Of the 3 neighborhoods you've listed I'd vote for Bloomsbury.

Posted by
64 posts

Thank you Claudia! Budget was the one thing I forgot 😊 Our budget is between $225 - $250.

Posted by
6509 posts

I'd go with Bloomsbury too, based on proximity to multiple tube stations. It's probably a denser area too, with more restaurant/pub/bakery/grocery options. But all the areas you mentioned, plus the one Claudia mentioned, plus many others, have all the features you're looking for. Try to stay within the "orbit" of the Circle Line, or walking distance outside, for faster travel to your various destinations. Out in the real suburbs you'll spend too much time and money getting in and out. And as Laura noted all transit shuts down on Christmas Day itself.

Posted by
4684 posts

It probably won't affect you since you're starting the tour then, but on Boxing Day (26th December) buses and tube trains will be running, but no other trains other than some airport services.

Posted by
15014 posts

There are a few chains in London that are apartment hotels: Guest Quarters, Frasier Apartments and Citadines. All have multiple locations.

Posted by
8674 posts

As you will be there over Christmas and I trust, understand that with the exception of taxis public transport shuts down, you might consider the Bayswater or Kensington neighborhoods. I now suggest neighborhoods these for a couple of reasons: not everyone in London celebrates Christmas so you may find a few cafes etc open for a nosh in both AND if walkers roam around Hyde Park on Christmas. Kids in new prams, people walking their dogs, young couples out and about needing the family break, etc. Lovely day to see Londoners out and about.

Posted by
180 posts

I like Nell Gwynn House in Chelsea. You can see their listings on Expedia or Booking.com. Great location. My favorite location