Please sign in to post.

London Museum Pass

How often have you seen it come on sale? I've seen 20% off and 30% off, have you ever seen a better deal?

I have done the math, and for my plans the full price won't save me any money but the sale price makes things more interesting!

Posted by
2707 posts

You’d have to be there a while to make this worthwhile at any price. The major museums in London are free.

Posted by
713 posts

Costco.com right now is offering the four day London Pass for $130.00.

I ran the numbers on xe.com, and that's equivalent to about £101. Right now the London Pass is selling at a 20% discount on their website.

On the LP website with the 20% discount, a three day pass is £105, or about $135.
At Costco.com the four day pass is $130 or about £101.

If you're a Costco member, that's a deal that gives you an extra day to use the pass. I haven't followed LP prices closely, but the Costco deal is the best I've heard of for the London Pass. I heard of it a few months ago, either from an online reference or just stumbling on it on Costco's website, I can't remember how.

Posted by
824 posts

Most museums in London (British Museum, Natural History Museum, Science Museum, etc.) are free. If you are referring to the London Pass, it all depends. I purchased a multi-day London Pass several years ago and actually got my money, including shipping to my USA home address, out of it. In order to do that, you must plan carefully and stick to the plan. Otherwise you won't be able to visit enough of the attractions to make it financially worth your while.

However, there's another intangible with the London Pass (and city passes) - convenience. Think of it as paying for entrance in advance. Not only do you visit the bank machines less often but you get to skip the entrance ticket queue and proceed directly to the entrance queue (most of the time). Those convenience factors alone tend to tip the scales in favor of the passes.

I would also opt for the Oyster Visitor card as well.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks so far everyone! I don't think my initial question was clear. Let me try to put it another way.

I know that many sites in London are free, that's why buying the London Museum Pass not such an obvious purchase (The Paris Museum Pass is a no-brainer, it's such a great deal! I wish the London version was as straight-forward).

I have already calculated that for all the things I want to do, buying London Museum Pass at full price is not worth it. I will not save any money. To profit, I would have to go on a hectic marathon visit of many sights per day while skipping all the free stuff there is to do in London. That's not going to happen!!

However, the sale price changes the math and I calculate that at 20% off I will save about 18£... Not a huge fortune, but why not! better in my pocket.

I have seen a 30% off sale price which will save me even more money, but I don't want to pounce and buy it if I know that many people have seen it on sale for 40% off or even 50% off!

So back to my question: have you ever seen it on sale at 40% off, 50% off or more? Or is 30% off the best I can hope for? I still have a few month to go, so I have time to "wait and see". If someone tells me they've seen it come on sale regularly every couple of weeks, then I won't jump on the first sale I see.

Thanks again for your help!

Posted by
32776 posts

I would also opt for the Oyster Visitor card as well.

Work2Travel,

why do you say that? If you have it mailed to you it is very much more expensive than getting it in London, and if you are going to get it in London why would you buy a product that doesn't refund your deposit and on which you can't put a Travelcard if you ever want one?

If you buy a normal Oyster card you can put a Travelcard on it if you want, and when you don't want it anymore you can get every penny back that is left on it including all of your deposit. Getting is absolutely easy, and machines selling them are everywhere.

What is attractive about the Visitor Card to you?

Then there is the further option of Contactless and Apple/Google/Samsung Pay. But my first question is about the Visitor Card.