Please sign in to post.

London Markets

What would be the best markets for vintage clothing, artsy souvenirs, and such? In or outside of London. Thanks!

Posted by
7552 posts

Not sure if I saw much vintage clothing in the markets, lots of second hand, but less true vintage. For that I would Google for shops, probably a few in the Camden area. As for interesting markets:

Also in the Camden area is the Camden Lock market and the adjacent Stables market, lots of artsy stuff, crafts, fashion and food. As I mentioned, the Camden area has loads of neat shops well worth a look.

On Saturdays, Portobello Road market is a favorite of many, focus is more antiques, but lots of interesting things.

The Old Spitalfields market is more mall than market, but nearby Brick Lane has several markets and a number of stores.

Doing some specific searches will turn up a number of markets, arcades, and shops that might specifically target what you are looking for.

Posted by
8669 posts

Camden Lock, petticoat Lane, Cabbages and Frocks and on a Saturday Spitafields Style Market.

Posted by
166 posts

FYI regarding Camden Market- years ago Camden Market was truly a wonderful shopping and Artsy experience. However, big business and money has virtually put an end to all of that. I was there last Summer in 2017, and 1/2 of the market is no longer there sadly. Been replaced by new construction of apartments or condos. if you have never been there, guess it's worth a look-see, but IMHO all of the charm has gone out of this market.

Posted by
2602 posts

I was just there in August and agree that Camden Market was a bit of a disappointment shopping-wise, though I did have a fabulous meal at The Cheese Bar--focus on artisanal British cheeses in a variety of fresh & delicious dishes. I love Portobello Road market on a Saturday--all the antique shops are open, some with vintage clothing & accessories, and the market progresses from antiques and vintage to food and then to more garage sale type stalls, with a big area near the end that's entirely vintage clothing, accessories, shoes, jewelry and records.

Posted by
75 posts

The Brick Lane Market has an area with vintage clothing. It is impressive and definitely worth a visit.

Posted by
2299 posts

hey darrellandkimberly
my niece from kentucky, outside lexington, got accepted for a semester abroad to london in september. she wanted to know about the markets also, since i have been to london sent her this site: streetsensation.co.uk it has a list of markets, where they are and what they have. i'm sure things change of what they have, some posters here have mentioned. hope this is useful to you and have a great time, it's a fun and busy city.
aloha

Posted by
35 posts

Princess Pupule...so many things in common. We are just outside of Lexington. I see you are from Martinez California...I am from California and went to high school in Martinez. Also, I did a semester abroad in London many years ago!