Please sign in to post.

London: Location Location Location

Over the years, we have stayed all over west London. If you know the city well, I am interested in your thoughts. This late July, we plan to stay a couple of blocks north of the Bayswater Road near the Lancaster Gate. The hotel is The Roseate House and is about half way between Kensington Park and Paddington. We will be coming from Somerset and departing for home from Heathrow; Paddington therefore is very convenient. Your thoughts, please

Posted by
6113 posts

I haven’t stayed at this particular hotel, but I have stayed nearby. It’s a very noisy location, choked with traffic 24/7. Sorry, but it wouldn’t be my choice.

Ensure whatever you book has a good refund policy. U.K. residents are being warned by the government that we may not get summer holidays this year, so foreign tourists may not be permitted.

Posted by
77 posts

Thank you kindly Jennifer. Good to know! This will be the third trip that I have planned for and may have to cancel.

Posted by
72 posts

We have stayed in the Roseate House hotel a couple years ago. We stayed there because of its location and ease of getting to Heathrow. Hotel was very nice. Hotel itself was away from main street enough that it was fairly quiet. We were only there for a few days at the end of longer trip. Can't speak about its suitability for a longer stay, but I was very happy with our stay there.

Posted by
77 posts

Thanks Kathleen. We will be there for 4 nights. This will also be at the end of a longer trip

Posted by
8124 posts

You've made a great decision. We always stay in the Bayswater/Queensway area on the north end of Hyde Park.

My wife stayed 1 block off Bayswater in London House. I last stayed at a small Comfort Inn a couple of blocks east down by the park.

And the 12 minute train to/from Paddington is the way to get to and from the city into Heathrow.

Posted by
226 posts

I lived in that neighborhood (near Cleveland Square) for about 6 months while attending school. Great location. Easy tube access via Lancaster Gate on the Central line and from Paddington and Bayswater stations via the Circle and District lines. (Also, easy and inexpensive bus connections in every direction from Bayswater Road on the north of Hyde Park and Marble Arch ). Right near Hyde Park and walking distance (within 2-2.5 miles) from many of the London highlights.

Posted by
2602 posts

I like this area, have stayed at The Caesar on Queen's Gardens on my last 2 trips and enjoyed the easy walk from Paddington after taking the Express from Heathrow, and usually walked over to Queensway for a bit of practical shopping at Tesco, dinner at The Prince Alfred pub or a quick coffee & a pastry, plus there are at least 3 tube stations in that area I used regularly. I especially enjoyed dinner at The Victoria on Strathearn Place, near Paddington. Even better, could walk to the Portobello Road market or catch a bus. As a solo traveler I felt safe walking these areas even at night.

Posted by
77 posts

SWEET!! I very much appreciate your comments. I checked out The Prince Alfred and The Victoria and they both sound awesome. I am ready for a PROPER fish and chips meal. Thanks for the heads up. So, one additional dinner at a kebab shop and one splurge at Ottolenghi NOPI and we've got 4 inspired dinners covered. We are scheduled for our second covid shot on Feb 27th. I want to stay positive that this trip is going to happen.

Posted by
77 posts

Hi Emma,
I never expected to get so many great comments or to have so much fun reading them. Thank you so much. Over the years we've stayed at the Marriott County Hall (river facing room with the Eye at two o'clock looking out our windows. That was a trip). Also, at an Air B&B over Patisserie Valerie on Brompton Road. Back in the early 90's, we stayed in a great B&B in Kangaroo Valley. I'm sure Earl's Court has changed quite a bit since then. Anyway, thanks for the heads up on our going to a proper "chippie" (I like that slang!).

Posted by
1323 posts

Are you picking the hotel just for the Heathrow Express?

Posted by
231 posts

Hi Bradley,

I currently live v nearby (and have done since moving in from zone 3/4 10 years ago.) I love being so central! As you’ve noted, you’ve got access to multiple tube stations and different lines - that’s so useful if one of them is buggered up for some reason then you’ve got options. You’ve got buses on Bayswater Road heading either towards Oxford St (the 148 goes right to Westminster Abbey and the Houses of Parliament) or the opposite way to Notting Hill.

Of course walking is the best way to get around - it’s 20 minutes through Hyde Park to the museums at South Ken, or 10 mins to Marble Arch and the good end of Oxford Street.

Re eats and drinks., The Victoria pub is nearby and they do a lovely Sunday roast. You’ve also got Mickeys Fish and Chips for your fish supper and the Frontline Club for a nice sit down meal. Decent grocery stores are a bit further out (large Waitrose at Porchester Terrace - take the 36 from Paddington) although you’ve got a small Sainburys inside Paddington Station that’ll do for essentials. Of course who knows what the landscape will look like after covid times/lockdown.

As I live here, I can’t comment on the hotel specifically. My American friends tend to stay at the Darlington and have said decent things about it, but again, you have lots of options.

In short, it’s a very central area with good transport connections. I don’t find it hugely noisy but we are in the middle of a very large city with a massive hospital nearby. Wherever you go in London you’ll hear sirens!

I do hope we’ll have two for 1 offers again this summer - be sure to pick up the brochure as you leave Somerset if you can. But no worries, they have a website where you can print off vouchers. Do keep an eye on the various museums and attractions as they reopen. During the window between lockdowns 1 and 2 they mostly opened with limited prebooked timed tickets.

Posted by
77 posts

Hi mincepie,

Brilliant feedback. We live in the heart of Los Angeles but in a quiet residential neighborhood. I like visiting noisy cities when we travel. The last time we were in London, we stayed at the Marriott County Hall. There's a huge hospital just across the street and Waterloo is just a few blocks away.

Because of Covid, we've been watching a lot of TV. We just watched The Dig, which I highly recommend. It's about Sutton Hoo. Hopefully, the British Museum will reopen in time for our visit.

Thanks for all the recommendations

Posted by
2775 posts

Hi, not sure when you are planning on going, but the UK is considering putting the US on their red list, which means no Americans will be allowed in.

Posted by
8646 posts

As many others have noted perfectly fine area to lodge. Have stayed in and around that neighborhood since the early 90’s. If TripAdvisor reviews are stellar why not try the Roseate. Most likely no elevator and small rooms but can’t be certain as I’ve not stayed there. Walked past it more than once.

Mincepie mentioned the Sunday roast at The Victoria Paddington pub. Throughly enjoyed mine there in 2019. Gorgeous pub. Pleasant staff and atmosphere.

A relatively new coffee place is located at the Lancaster Gate opening into Hyde Park’s Italian Gardens. Opens at 7:30am on weekdays. 8am on the weekends. A few tables and chairs but mostly take away. Pleasant spot for people watching as are the benches that surround the Italian Gardens water feature.

If you do choose to stay there you’ll also be close to Tudkin, a Malaysian restaurant I enjoy. On the corner is a great little pharmacy if you are in need. Both About a 5-7 minute walk from The Roseate.

PM if you like. Love London and find something each and every visit. I’m looking at Fall of 2022 for my next sojourn!

Posted by
77 posts

Greetings Claudia,

Fantastic feedback. I think the Locatioh Lacation Location is now settled. The last time we walked through the Italian Gardens was before the restoration. It sounds like the perfect place to start a morning.

I find the concept of "Sunday Roast" very interesting and amusing. I've heard about it for years! It sounds so very English.
When I was growing up in the 1950's, it was pretty normal for my mom to take Sunday dinner up a notch and make it special. So, The Victorian on Sunday night is going to be a must - - rain or shine! Also, I've never had Malaysian food. I had Indonesian food in Amsterdam many many years ago and thought it was epic. I'm wondering if it is similar.

Thanks again

Posted by
8646 posts

As Emma has noted a Sunday Roast is an afternoon meal, not dinner. Plan your day accordingly.