Please sign in to post.

London itinerary help please

Hi. We are planning two fill days in London... It's been years since I have been there. Thoughts on our itinerary? We arrive 6:00pm St Pancras station July 1 (we will have been in Europe for over a week already, so no jet lag issues), check in and have late dinner - we are staying in Notting Hill. We have two full days and then leave at 10:40 am from Heathrow. Note: We have Hamilton tickets on the first full day at 8:00 PM.

Things we would like to do:
HOHO tour, Tower of London, London Eye, Thames river cruise

Can we do all that on day 1 and have day 2 to shop and wander some neighborhoods and parks? Or is that too ambitious?

There are 10 of us in age from 70 to 6 years old.

Thanks for your help
K

Posted by
4891 posts

With that number of people, and considering that you only move as fast as the slowest in the group, I think your plan is too ambitious. I don't know where you would find time for lunch or dinner, or to return to your hotel to freshen up before the theatre. I'd recommend dropping at least one of these ( my vote would be the HOHO- you can waste a lot if time waiting for one or getting stuck in traffic). Do it the 2nd day in the morning. If you want to see the Tower, try to do it early in the morning if possible.

Posted by
8693 posts

The answer is no.

Too little time, too many in the group.

Drop the HoHo bus. Big waste of time as London traffic is abysmal.

Day 1: Up early, tube (Circle Line ) from Bayswater to Tower Hill (about 30 minutes but no train change). Walk across the road from Tower Hill Station to get in line to buy tickets for the Tower of London.

Tour the Tower, then walk over Tower Bridge. Follow the river path then over to Borough Market for lunch.

After lunch take the Jubilee Line from London Bridge to Westminster. Exit and take your Thames River Cruise. Then back to your accommodation to rest, freshen up and head out for dinner and then Hamilton. The closest underground station to Hamilton is Victoria.

Day 2.
Eat breakfast then tube back to Westminster. Exit and fight thru the congestion on Westminster Bridge over to the Eye. Doubt you’ll get immediate tickets to ride right then so you’ll need to be flexible. Get your timed tickets and then consider:

(1.) walking back over the bridge to Birdcage Walk which takes you through St James park up to Buckingham Palace. If the flag is up Her Majesty is in residence.

Pretty certain the younger members of the 10 will like seeing all the ducks, geese and waterfowl in St James Park. From the Palace walk past the Victoria Memorial and then down The Mall towards Trafalgar Square. At the end of the park turn right on Horse Guards Road and see if the Horse Guards are out
On the parade grounds. If not walk to Trafalgar Square and from there into Covent Garden. Punjab is a fabulous Indian restaurant there. Can’t miss it. Painted purple.

After lunch it’s about a 25 minute walk from Punjab back to the London Eye.

What you do after riding the London Eye is up to you.

Posted by
8401 posts

You can get on the Thames River Cruise right at the tower. Visit the tower and then get directly on the cruise. Plenty of coffee shops and restaurants nearby.

Posted by
43 posts

Thank you so much! You have been so helpful. I was afraid it was too Ambitious!!