Please sign in to post.

London Itinerary Help

REVISED ITINERARY! Thank you for all of your thoughts/suggestions. Based on these and some more reading, I've put together a rough outline with some revisions/additions. I'd love your thoughts once again!

We have nixed the idea of the Cotswolds Day Trip, and for some reason, Windsor (or other) castle does not excite me. But I watched a video of some of the museums, and their suggestion of just going to 1-2 sections and spending an hour or two hit home. So I am trying to weave in multiple types of things each day. I've also added the museums in case it rains.

We will have 5 full days there - two travel days on either end which I try not to plan much for as usually there is not a lot of time and we are wiped the day we arrive. We usually just do a HO/HO bus tour to get the lay of the land.

The days are in no particular order, we may change them around. This itinerary is just for the 5 full days we will have. Since we are going in May we should have fairly long days.

Day 1 - The City
Tower of London - 3 hours
Tower Bridge - 1 hour (inside) or 30 minutes (photos)
St. Paul's Cathedral - 2 hours
Leadenhall Market - 1.5 hours (lunch and stroll)
Total: 7.5 hours (with Tower Bridge inside) or 7 hours (photos only)

Day 2 - Covent Garden, Soho and Mayfair
Covent Garden - 2.5 hours
London Transport Museum - 1.5 hours
Soho - 1.5 hours
Mayfair - 1.5 hour
Mayfair Mercato - (lunch)
Total: 7 hours

Day 3 - St. James and Westminster
Trafalgar Square - 1 hour
Horse Guards Parade - 30 minutes
The Mall - 30 minutes
St. James Park - 1 hour
Buckingham Palace (photo op) - 30 minutes
Royal Mews - 1 hour
Big Ben and Houses of Parliament (photo op) - 30 minutes
Total: 6 hours

Day 4 - West London
Notting Hill - 1.5 hours
Portobello Market - 3 hours
Victoria and Albert Museum - 3 hours (including lunch)
Total: 7.5 hours

Day 5 - Westminster, Kensington
Kensington Palace (Photos only) and Gardens - 1.5 hours
Westminster Abbey - 2 hours
Churchill War Rooms - 2 hours
Thames River Cruise - 1.5 hours
Total: 7 hours

I'm not sure if the activities are grouped properly. I want the days to have enough free time to pop into shops we see along the way and pop into a pub for a pint if we feel like it.

If anyone has suggestions for particular pubs/restaurants that they liked in each area, please let me know!

Thanks!

We're thinking of going to London May 2025 for the first time for 5-6 days. We will be staying in Covent Garden. I'm struggling with the itinerary. After reading some posts here, we've trimmed a bit - On the "must sees" are:

Westminster Abbey
Tower of London
Churchill War Rooms
Big Ben/House of Parliament (walk by/photo op)
Thames Boat Tour
Ride in a Black Cab - ? Maybe from the airport to our hotel?

I'm not much of a "big museum" person - to be honest, I'd rather see something like the Royal Mews and the Royal carriages or a sculpture museum or even a smallish garden.

Not sure I want to see a palace either unless there is a "must see" one.

We've taken off:

Hop On/Off Bus
Tower Bridge
London Eye
Changing of the Guard
Hyde Park/St James Park

Things we are thinking of adding, but not sure if they are worth it:

Day trip to the Cotswolds or Oxford/The Cotswolds or Downton Abbey tour
Spitafields/Leadenhall Market/Portabello Market
St. Paul's Cathedral
Kensington Gardens
Going someplace for a view - maybe Sky Garden
Harrods

We want to leave enough time for strolling about, window shopping/actual shopping, taking in the architecture, having a pint in a pub, and listening to music in a pub. Our interests are history, architecture, gardens, shopping (not high-end shopping), and walking around cute areas.

Can anyone help?

Posted by
1188 posts

Just a couple of little things.

You'll see Tower Bridge if you see the Tower of London. They're right next to each other. Walking a few yards up the river would get you a good photo of Tower Bridge to take home, even if you're not interested in seeing the visitor centre and high walkway that has an admission price.

Even if you're not that interested in palaces, it would be a shame to not see Buckingham Palace on your first visit. I would agree that changing of the guard is more hassle than it's worth with the crowds, but swinging by Buckingham Palace if you're walking in Westminster anyway is something I'd do. It's quite an iconic London sight. St James's Park is close by if you're strolling that way. It's a nice park for the birdlife; pelicans, swans, fancy ducks and geese and parakeets. Horse Guards Parade is nearby too, so you can see mounted guards up close if that interests you. It's on the way to The Churchill War Rooms too.

I've got no interest in Harry Potter, but Leadenhall and Spitalfields is easy to do back to back. They're a short walk apart. Leadenhall would be a ten minute visit for me unless I was stopping for a drink or something to eat. It's not a market with stalls that you can browse. Portobello Market is out west in the opposite direction. Maybe a bit more to keep you entertained? A bit posher. Less hip? More "cute"?

If you like strolling Hyde Park is a good one. It's a big green space and you can include Kensington Gardens in the same stroll.

An alternative if you just want to see the view is The Lookout at 8 Bishopsgate, just near the Sky Garden. It's free, but is just a basic bare room up really high. Easy to combine with Spitalfields and Leadenhall if you're out that way (The City) anyway.

Posted by
496 posts

A few suggestions- given your limited time, you could probably take one day trip, bur personally I'd say trying to do Oxford and the Cotswolds join one day is going to be very rushed and not very satisfying. Oxford is a full day in itself. With Downtown Abbey, I'm pretty sure there May opening is limited to bank holidays, so check dates (next year they will be 5th and 26th May). If it's open, there's no need for a tour - it's an easy train trip from London to Newbury plus taxi from Newbury station.

Ride in a black cab. You don't mention which airport you're coming from, but public transport is normally the fastest and cheapest option. If you're coming from Heathrow, a black cab will take far longer than public transport, and will cost about £100+. Maybe take one for a shorter trip within central London instead.

If you're seeing Westminster Abbey and the Churchill War Rooms, you may as well add in St James' Park as it's right next door and it's lovely.

Main advice - don't pack too much in. You'll find plenty to do.

Posted by
434 posts

Just a few thoughts. A black cab ride from Heathrow to central London costs anywhere from £61.00 - £114.00, so unless you have a large party (where each individual would have to have a separate ticket for tube or train), you might want to save your cab ride for going back to your hotel after a long day touring.

Big Ben/Houses of Parliament combine easily with a visit to Westminster Abbey. Tower Bridge is right next to the Tower of London and it's free to walk across or watch them raise the bridge to let a ship through, so you can at least get a picture when you visit the Tower of London.

Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park are basically two ends of the same park, so you can easily see both if you'd like.

I love the Cotswolds, but if I were in London for just 5 or 6 days I would skip it as a day trip.

We enjoyed shopping Portabello Market and then wandering through Notting Hill down to Holland Park. These are all relatively close to Kensington Gardens if you are walkers.

We enjoyed a nice lunch in the Darwin at Sky Garden. Pricey, but it was a special occasion and it gave us an opportunity to enjoy the view from our table as well as walk about the garden. Whether you go for a free garden ticket, or a restaurant reservation, do allow plenty of time for going through security like they suggest on the website. It is very much like airport security--everything out of your pockets and walk through the metal detector.

Enjoy planning your trip. I think London is my favorite city.

EDIT--I see my thoughts were running along the same lines as Simon and GerryM!

Posted by
4553 posts

I would go to Kew Gardens and take the boat from Westminster Pier rather than doing a Thames Tour.

Posted by
3127 posts

How many nights will you sleep in London?
If you are not a museum person then don’t go. Your itinerary should reflect your interests not others.
If going to Tower of London take-a-peek of Tower Bridge.
Bath is more doable as a day trip from London than the Cotwolds. There’s a direct train from London’s Paddington station to Bath Spa (1h 30m). When taking day trips, you want your mode of transportation to be direct not taking more than two hours.
I wasn’t wowed by St. Paul’s Cathedral but there are some historical pubs in the area: The Black Friar, Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese and The Old Bank of England. Make sure once inside you walk around. One of them has a cellar you step down into that is more atmospheric than the seating when you first walk in.
I enjoyed the shopping area Seven Dials.

Posted by
750 posts

I didn't see Windsor Castle on this list; which I love! Highclere was a highlight on our most recent visit, but it isn't open until July. I really enjoyed seeing The Royal Mews. Loved Buckingham Palace and the garden tour, but again, I think you are too early. Richmond Great Park is quite interesting if you find yourself in Richmond for Kew Gardens.

Posted by
12 posts

Hello, we just returned two days ago. We packed a lot in. We loved the views from Greenwich, when we climbed to the Royal Observatory. We took an Uber boat there and the DLR back. We also bought sandwiches and walked up Primrose Hill for a lovely view. The day we did that, we first walked through The Regent's Park, then wandered through a neighbourhood called St. John's Wood.

We loved Hampton Court Palace, if you're considering a palace. That was a real highlight for us. We also loved the Sir John Soane's Museum, if you're looking for something that is a museum but is a little less museum-ish. The area around it was also nice, with a lovely park nearby.

It did strike, me when we were there, how subjective what one enjoys really is. I was so excited to go to Cambridge, but I ended up being quite disappointed in the fact that there were hordes and hordes of people flowing off of enormous bus tours, taking up the sidewalks so it was difficult to even walk through the town. I was able to appreciate the beauty of the buildings, but in retrospect I wish I had done something else with my day.

I also wish we had left more time to just stroll about. We did listen to great music in The White Lion in Covent Garden and a very entertaining street musician that same day. We had a very good pub dinner at The Ship.

I really enjoyed wandering through Fortnum and Mason, and if you like bookstores, Hatchard's is beside it.

Posted by
9079 posts

Intel:

Parliament Square consists of the Houses of Parliament and Westminster Abbey. Adjacent to one another.

Churchill War Rooms are close by. For example you can walk from Parliament with Elizabeth’s Tower and the Big Ben bell to the War Rooms in 10 minutes. From the War Rooms it’s an easy stroll by St James Park up to the Palace.

The Japanese Gardens in Holland Park are lovely.

Architecture is everywhere. If you want a great look of modern vs ancient AND enjoy a pint and food make your way to the glorious Blackfriar pub across the road from Blackfriars Station.

Can do the same by heading toward the Gherkin ( 30 St Marys Axe ) and the adjacent Leaden Hall Market where if Harry Potter film fans you can view the entrance to the Leaky Cauldron,

Have learned over decades of London stays that the British seem to enjoy naming their skyscrapers. I’ve mentioned the Gherkin but there is also the Cheesegrater (122 Leadenhall Street ), the Can of Ham (60 St Mary’s Axe), the Walkie Talkie Building, ( 20 Fenchurch ), and the Shard ( London Bridge Street).

You might also enjoy taking the tube to Canary Wharf station for a modern POV then find your way to the Regents Park station with the gorgeous green tiles. Old and new dichotomy.

The Isabella Plantation ( Broomfill Entrance) at Richmond Park is very lovely as is Queen Mary’s Rose Garden in Regents Park. Many, many gardens to explore and enjoy in London’s neighborhoods.

Posted by
687 posts

Here's a vote for including St. Paul's Cathedral. I think it's spectacular, even if you just see it from the outside. But going inside, and climbing up all three domes, is amazing, in my opinion. It's on the same side of London as the Tower of London, so you might be able to do them on the same day.

Posted by
238 posts

A stroll through Hyde Park is worth it, if only because you see Londoners at a more relaxed pace. Normally you don't ever even make eye contact with anyone, let alone interact. They are usually in too much of a hurry to get somewhere (it can take a while to go a relatively short distance).

Posted by
1079 posts

Your allocation seems somewhat unbalanced to me. Day 1§ is full on with the Tower of London and St Pauls - that day will be full. In contrast there is precious little on days 2 and 3 - both are mostly walk past places. Day 5 is again full on if you intend to go into both Westminster Abbey and the Churchill War Rooms. Day 4 has little in it. Most people seem to be underwhelmed by Kensington Palace. Harrods is really only interesting for fans of ridiculous over consumption.

You talk about dipping into museums but have only included two - the Transport Museum and the V&A. As most museums are free to enter you could easily step into one or two more to see if anything interests you. For example the Science and Natural History museums are right next door to the V&A. You wouldn't want to try and see all 3 in detail but could easily have an hour or so in each, more in any one that takes your interest.

You might want to consider some time in either Hampton Court or Greenwich - both can easily take up a day and for me are more interesting than anything you have on days 2, 3 and 4. Although I've just spotted that you have two day 3s! You can cure some of that by picking up some walking on your arrival day - being out in the fresh air will likely help with getting over jet lag as well.

Portobello Market is best visited on a Saturday, not Friday and you need to go there early in the morning.

Posted by
434 posts

On day one, I'm going to assume you listed Leadenhall Market last because you have listed all your lunch spots last. If you don't want to backtrack, then Tower of London and Tower Bridge would be followed by lunch at Leadenhall Market and then St. Paul's. Also, if you have time, considering visiting St. Dunstan in the East, which is located between the Tower and Leadenhall Market. It's a bombed out church that has been turned into a garden. We found it to be a quiet place to breathe between busier sites. If you climb to the top of St. Paul's Cathedral, try out the Whispering Gallery.

Geographically it would make a bit more sense to visit Kensington Gardens between Portobello Market and the Victoria and Albert Museum, but that day looks pretty full as it is. We enjoyed tea at The Orangery in Kensington Gardens one year.

The London Transport Museum looks interesting. We couldn't fit it in last year, so have a marked for a future trip. However be aware that it is not one of the many free museums in London. An annual pass (which seems to be the only type ticket we could find) runs about £24.50.

You have a lot planned, but that's not a bad thing. We tend to get up and out of our room around 9 a.m. and not get back until after 6 p.m., so 7-8 hours of activity including lunch is not too much. We also try to be flexible with our schedule and if we're really enjoying what we're doing we might sacrifice something else in order to stay longer than planned where we are.