Please sign in to post.

London in November

We are planning a week in London this November 16-22 and while I’m considering changing our trip to Italy in hopes of slightly warmer weather, I’d rather hear what all of the London lovers have to say first. This is my first trip to London and I love to be outside walking and exploring. I like all the notable sites and landscape beauty. Can’t wait to hear what you all have to say. Thank you in advance!

MT

Posted by
15013 posts

No one can predict the weather in London as it changes and is very unpredictable. Figure highs around the mid 40's.

I like visiting during that time of year because the crowds have lessened and it is not as crazy. It does get darker earlier but that will be true in Italy as well.

Posted by
8674 posts

I travel there nearly every year in November.

Downpours are rare, occasional sprinkles, blue skies more often than you might think but expect grey..

Temps in 40’s which I enjoy.

Fewer hordes and Christmas lights. What’s not to love?

Posted by
75 posts

My husband, sister and I were in London for the first time last November 9-17. I was also a little hesitant, worrying about weather at that time. We had a wonderful time and cannot wait to return. We did all the typical tourist things and absolutely loved it. We did get some rain but it did not stop us from doing what we had planned. Remember to carry an umbrella and wear water resistant shoes. The weather was lovely at that time. Mid 50’s during the day and lows in the 40’s. We thought it was great walking weather as we walked mostly everywhere. Christmas lights were up which we enjoyed. Christmas music played at Harrod’s and Fortnum and Mason. We enjoy Christmas time and London was perfect at that time. Take advantage of all the Christmas festivities if you like that kind of thing. A couple of places we enjoyed eating at were Burgers and Lobster and Chisou if you’re into sushi. I think you’ll enjoy your time there if slightly cooler temps aren’t a problem.
I have to add that I’ve only been to Europe three times and they’ve all been in the month of November. That’s just what our schedule has allowed. I have no regrets and wouldn’t hesitate to go in November again. Hope this helps.

Posted by
713 posts

I've been to London in November a few times. Most recently, last November, 5 - 13. As Erica experienced on her slightly overlapping visit, the weather was cool and there was some rain.

As to clothing, I could wear layers in case it got really chilly. My mainstay was a raincoat (not heavyweight, i.e., with no winter liner) that I'd bought at Costco. It's very water-repellant, with a good hood and nice pockets, just above knee length. It was just right as an outer layer regardless of rain, and was brilliant in the rain.

I'm in the habit of treating my shoulder bags and shoes with water repeller spray, and made sure those items I took on the trip had been freshly treated. That served me well in the rain. Obviously not totally waterproof but nothing got drenched or ruined or even very damp at all. I didn't bother with an umbrella, just raised the hood on my raincoat as I walked around London when it rained.

BTW I didn't experience solid days of rain. There were a few days where serious rain showers moved in by late afternoon and persisted into the evenings. Otherwise it was fine. I don't recall that I was kept from going anywhere I'd wanted to, because of the rain. (Although TBH there were evenings when because of a combination of fatigue and rain, I picked up some takeaway for a light supper in my room, vs. going out again.)

As mentioned, temps were in the 40 - 50 (F) range, IIRC. I was comfortable in the raincoat. I'd also brought a very packable puffer jacket, but I don't think I ever felt cold enough to wear it on that trip.

And yes, they were getting the Christmas lights up although it was still a little early for the full installations. My reason for visiting at that time was to be there for the centenary of the WWI Armistice, and I'm so glad I was.

My problem these days with walking in London, is rarely weather, but rather the effects of age on my stamina. I hope you have a great time there!

BTW, the only bitter cold weather I've experienced in London, was in February a long time ago. (It was a theatre break, timed to take advantage of the US President's Day holiday weekend.)

Posted by
5326 posts

The old adage was "Rain before seven, fine before eleven". It isn't always true, but the average spell of frontal rain won't last longer than four hours. Might start raining again later though.

Posted by
4044 posts

By that time London will be getting dark pretty early. Nice for Christmas lights, I suppose, but it might be a factor in planning how you get around.

Posted by
6547 posts

We’ve been there between mid-November to early December the past two years. I remember a little rain some mornings, an a few time when it rained in the evening, but not enough to stop us from doing anything. We never needed more than a light, to mid weight jacket. Later in the evening, some light weight gloves came in handy. We walked all over town.

Posted by
39 posts

Thank you all kindly for the feedback and tips! I think we’ll give it a shot! :)