Please sign in to post.

London in May

We're planning a trip to London next spring. We'd like to go at the time of the RHS Chelsea Flower Show. The last time we were in London, we didn't go to the show but enjoyed the displays of Chelsea in Bloom. Is a visit to the Flower Show itself worth the cost of admission?

While looking at the RHS site, I also came across information about Osterley House and Park. Has anyone visited it, and would you recommend it? Thank you!

Posted by
302 posts

I just went to the show last Friday. It was my first time at the show and I had an amazing time, though it was very crowded.

I thought it was worth the cost. There is a lot to see.

Posted by
379 posts

On the Chelsea Flower Show, have been several times and loved it. If you're evening vaguely into gardens, it's definitely worth it. Members days are usually a little quieter, so you may find it worth joining the RHS.

Posted by
5361 posts

Yes I've been to Osterley House and Park. The former is under long term conservation works so what may be open by next year is uncertain. The formal gardens have already been restored back to an 18th century style and the woodland walks are extensive.

Posted by
25 posts

Thank you all for the information; we will definitely put both on our tentative itinerary.

Posted by
5053 posts

I went to the Chelsea Flower show during my very first visit to London. It remains the high point of the whole trip. I would love to do it again.

Posted by
985 posts

My personal view on the Chelsea Flower Show.

I first went about 10 years ago and really did not enjoy it. It was hugely crowded and more full of people who wanted to see and be seen than were really interested in gardening. Lots of dressing up and ogling at celebrities. The show gardens seemed to me to be more about architectural design than planting.

I'm involved with the charity WaterAid and this year was invited to volunteer at one of the show gardens which the charity was involved with on the theme of rainwater harvesting and coping with the challenges of climate change. My wife and I did some shifts on the Tuesday and Wednesday, both RHS members days, giving out leaflets and talking to them about the garden. This was great fun despite terrible weather on both days, talking to lots of different people, most of them at least a bit interested in the garden.

We had some time away from the garden to look around and I did notice a definite movement in the style of the gardens, away from an emphasis on structures and much more emphasis on the planting. The WaterAid garden was hugely impressive (I admit a possible bias here!) but I also enjoyed several of the other gardens, both the main show gardens and the various smaller ones.

Would I go again as a paying customer? Probably not, but I might take up a free or discounted ticket if I was going to be in the area. I still believe that the RHS shows and the permanent gardens provide a more interesting day out.