Please sign in to post.

London in December

Hi all. We will be in London for 7 days in December and I'd love some fresh ideas. There will be four of us (two 50 somethings with our 20 and 24 year old kids). We were in London 12 years ago so looking to do new things.
Music - we'd love to see some live christmas music - thinking a performance at Royal Albert Hall. Any other ideas?
Christmas markets - any favorites to recommend?
Restaurants - we are pretty adventurous and would love some ideas - from quick inexpensive to a nicer sit down meal
Museums - we love art and history, so we are pretty open. We have been to the Tate Modern and loved it. Also thinking the War Rooms could be interesting.

Thanks so much!! Happy traveling.

Posted by
313 posts
  1. Music: a classic Christmastime thing to do in the UK is to see a pantomime. While you don't have any young kids with you, it's still a fun event for adults, and strongly recommended. Obviously if you're looking for something classical, that's different :) just a thought.
  2. Christmas markets - this is where the UK is nowhere near as good as continental Europe. Having said that, Winter Wonderland at Hyde Park is an option.
  3. Museums: if you're considering the war rooms, you might enjoy HMS Belfast - going onboard a warship is certainly an experience. My other favourite thing to do is visit one of London's many small museums. My favourites include the Florence Nightingale Museum and the Foundling Museum.
Posted by
11333 posts

The Christmas concert at the Royal Albert was a highlight for us. Cabinet War Rooms excellent as is the Imperial War Museum. Enjoyed a walk through Hyde Park on a sunny December day as well. We didn’t get to the National Gallery until our third trip and wondered how we’d overlooked it prior. If you are up for a day trip, Bletchley Park is worthwhile.

Posted by
1015 posts

The National Portrait Gallery has just reopened and is worth a look. Check what special exhibitions the museums and galleries have on. These carry an extra charge but are usually excellent and well worth paying for.

The British Museum is a must if you haven’t been there yet.

Posted by
313 posts

Carol service at St Martin’s-in-the-Field, but check the dates because you’ll probably need to book it before you arrive. There’s usually a lot happening at Kew Gardens too, but again, you’d need to book tickets.

Posted by
952 posts

We will be in London about the same time. I went last in December 2019. The highlights for me were Christmas at Kew, absolutely magical and the Gingerbread City. I will be revisiting them on our upcoming trip.

The Christmas markets are nice, but they are all similar, so my advice is to pick one. Winter wonderland in Hyde Park is a nice option as you have a carnival and a market. It can get very crowded in the evenings, so go early to avoid a long entry line.

I love the Food Tours in London by eating Europe and the East End one is especially fun. After the tour you can spend time shopping, looking at street art, and just exploring.

Posted by
8680 posts

Book for Christmas at Kew Gardens now.

One night Meander about Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park;

Online check the following venues websites for music options:
Cadegon Hall ( classical music ) Ronnie Scotts for Jazz, Wilton’s Music Hall.

Various churches will have Christmas Concerts. Walk inside any church you pass and look for flyers mentioning a performance.

You’ll find plenty of interesting booths at Spitalfields market. Bought Xmas cards and ornaments there more than once.

Also look in the entry areas of churches and cathedrals. Many have boxes of Christmas cards with sales benefiting local organizations.

As far as markets; Portobello Rd, Brick Lane, Covent Garden, Southbank, Leicester Square. Carnaby Street is colorful.

Churchill War Rooms are great. So popular now you need to book tix in advance.

For restaurants: Dishoom, Nando’s, Wahacas, Wagamama, Bills, Leon and Five Guys chains.

One of the best meals I’ve had in numerous London trips was at the Dragon Inn in the Richmond. They serve Dinner only. Believe reservations a must.

I’m a fan of pub grub especially their soups and stews. Still dream of the pumpkin and sage soup I enjoyed at The Dove in Hammersmith.

Try to get a reservation at Putney Pies.

If you like walking and if weather is good take a meander in Richmond Park to see the fallow deer. Then stop in the White Cross Pub for lunch. The Richmond neighborhood was untouristy before the popularity of the Apple TV series Ted Lasso. Now, not so much. Still its an interesting London neighborhood to explore.

EDIT: check to see of the Eel Pie Island artisans are having a Christmas open house.

Posted by
4412 posts

Be sure to walk past Fortnum & Mason and Harrods, they do up the outsides very nicely. And the streets in those areas have lights strung across them.

Posted by
515 posts

We were in London December 2019. The Christmas concert at Royal Albert Hall was fabulous. We also enjoyed a concert at Cadogan Hall. London dresses up for Christmas like no other city; the shop windows, big and small are decorated. I even saw barber shop windows decorated:)

We had a delicious lunch at The River Cafe; we took the bus and enjoyed wandering the neighbourhood close by. It is a first class Italian restaurant.

The city with all the lights is particularly lovely in the evening.

Posted by
291 posts

I’m saving this post/thread! I am hoping to return to London at Christmas time for our second visit. Be sure to write back and tell us how your visit was!!

Posted by
4412 posts

Another thing to consider, I popped into two random churches during December and they were having rehearsals for Christmas concerts. It was great to be almost alone in that space with the singers. Try this yourself.

Posted by
13952 posts

I follow the Lady in London blog and today she gives her walking route for Christmas lights/decorations. You may not want to follow all of it but you can check it out on a map and maybe work in a few segments of it when you are out and about!

If you are not familiar with her blog it has a ton of advertising in it. I've tried to do the link so it comes up right at the start of the actual walking route.

https://www.aladyinlondon.com/2023/09/christmas-lights-walk-london.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=lady_s_festive_christmas_lights_walk_in_london_a_lady_in_london&utm_term=2023-09-26