Please sign in to post.

London in 4 days

Hi everyone, the wife and I will be arriving in London via Gatwick and looking to stay for 4 days before heading to Southampton for QM2's transatlantic to NYC. Checking at train options and hotels/attractions during those days. Any ideas from those who have done it? Thanks!

Posted by
1203 posts

Have you looked at the RS London guide book, free YouTube Videos, the RS scrapbooks featuring London in their scapbooks, listened to the RS free podcasts? Also what area of London would you like to stay, how much per night would you like to pay in GBP currency? What are you interested in seeing, museums, churches, pubs, London walks, plays? The list is endless. We need help to determine what and where you want to go during your four days. Are you staying the whole 4 days including arrival day.
I just got back from London and loved it, there is so much to see and do. When are you going?

Your answers will be helpful to others in helping you plan the 4 days.

Posted by
15820 posts

We've spent a week in London and only scratched the surface.. There is SO much to do but as Ann asked, it would helpful to know what you're interested in before making suggestions.Have you spent any time with a few guidebooks?

It would also be helpful to know what day/time you're arriving, what date/time you need to be at the ship, and at what terminal at the port.

Posted by
4527 posts

With big cities like London I would look for lodging that's convenient to either your arrival point or departure point.

Arrival: Victoria Station or one if the central Thameslink stations.

Departure: Waterloo Station or Paddington Station or the Victoria Coach Station.

Something near Victoria Station would work both ways if taking the bus works for you. Or a short taxi ride to a train at Waterloo.

Posted by
8680 posts

So you’ve never been to London before?

Without knowing your interests here are my suggestions.

Parliament Square : Houses of Parliament, Big Ben and Westminster Abbey. Take the Vergers Tour of the Abbey. Big Ben is under renovation so there’s scaffolding. This area is lovely sight at night.

Museum of London: often overlooked but a well done and free museum that gives you insight into the city you are visiting.

Tower of London: Go early to avoid the masses, h as straight to the Crown Jewels and then tour the rest of the grounds. From there walk up to the glass covered Leadenhall Market Place

Walk or bike ride in Hyde Park.

See a play. Check out the theatre monkey website to see what’s on. If you don’t wish to pre book tix then visit the half price ticket booth in Leicester Square for tickets to a play. Hamilton won’t be available but Lion King will and the venerable Mousetrap. Research to find out what’s on.

Restaurants are bountiful. Food from everywhere in the world nearly or merely enjoy a pint and pub grub.

Incredible city with lots to see and do.

If you’d share your likes we fellow travelers would be pleased to offer more suggestions.

And in all honesty buying and reading the RS London guide would be a very smart thing to do. Concise and informative it opens your eyes to all things London and how to navigate it with ease.

Keep Calm and Carry On.

Posted by
274 posts

Well, since we only know you have one interest, riding on the ship, you'd probably like the Thames river tours :)

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/river/

I have a friend who made a point to see a West End show in London and also that same Broadway show in NY, to see which he liked better :) Have fun!
-Alison