Please sign in to post.

London Hotels

After our Southern England tour we are returning to London for a few days. Would love to stay at the hotel currently being booked for Rick's London based tours. We have found that those hotels always prove to be the best for location and price. And if you have recommendations for other mid-priced hotels please send those along as well. We are looking for a convenient, central location
We will be in London June 18-21.
Thank you!

Posted by
8381 posts

Not the Rick Steves Hotel you asked for, but I am sending you my suggestion anyway........

I have stayed at the Premier Inn Waterloo and the location and price could not be beat. The Premier Inn County Hall is just a block away as well. Rick Steves would never book at the Premier Inn, but I challenge you to find a better location/price combination.
It is possible to walk to most sights in Westminster and the Tube station is two blocks away. Rooms are clean and the staff is courteous.

Posted by
452 posts

As noted above Premier Inn. There are lots in London, other locations that are central and convenient for transport are at London St Pancras, London Euston, London Leicester Square, London Holborn - too many to list.

When I travel anywhere in the UK and need a hotel I always look for a Premier Inn first.

Posted by
13943 posts

Although he does not use this hotel (now), I like The Lime Tree on Ebury St although I haven't stayed there since 2018 and they've done a complete reno since then. For myself it's walkable to many of the sights I want to see but it's also near Victoria station for access to the Underground. It's a smaller family owned hotel.

I didn't particularly like the hotel I stayed in at the end of the Best of England tour (no breakfast room) but I know he's used the Radisson Blu on Cromwell Rd in South Kensington some. I've stayed there on several Road Scholar tours. It's nice but bigger than I like. They do have an awesome breakfast buffet.

If you've not been to Bath, I recommend you stay an extra day there. Will you be going out to Canterbury a day ahead? I found lots to do there that was not covered on the tour.

Posted by
27120 posts

Verify that the hotel you choose is air conditioned. I'd think a "mid-priced" hotel would be, but for sure plenty of budget hotels are not. My preference is for places less expensive (and inevitably less nice) than Premier Inns, but they often compare well on the rate/value scale to other option with a/c.

In case anyone after you is looking for a recommendation- this past summer I stayed in Premier Inn Hampstead Heath for a weekend which was pretty good (though not the most affordable), but I don't recommend the restaurant (pretty meh food and there are so many cuter and better cafes in the neighbourhood).
I also stayed at Cherry Court Hotel which was great! I found the recommendation from a different RS forum and it was just what my mum and I needed for a fair price!