Please sign in to post.

London - first trip - April 2020

I will be in London for 4 days in April (coming from a conference in Nottingham). will be flying back home through Heathrow. I would like to do a hop on and hop off tour to get my bearings, go to Stonehenge, and possibly the Churchill war room. Other than that, wandering through some shops and experience some food...maybe a Saturday market? What location is a good place to get a hotel? I've done a bit of research, possibly south Kensington or convent garden district? Thanks for any tips.

Posted by
6489 posts

I'd suggest a hotel on the South Bank near Westminster Bridge. We liked the Park Plaza County Hall. Others have recommended the Premier Inn County Hall. There are other choices.

That location is a short and very scenic walk across the bridge to the Houses of Parliament and nearby Churchill War Rooms. (Get a timed entry ticket for these, to avoid long lines.) It's also very close to Waterloo Station, where trains leave for Salisbury every half hour or so, taking about 1.5 hours. From Salisbury Station there's regular bus service to Stonehenge. Salisbury Cathedral is also well worth seeing.

I wouldn't recommend a HOHO bus for London, you'll spend lots of time in traffic and wait a long time for the next bus if and when you get off. Instead, map out some sights or neighborhoods you'd like to see and, if not too far away, take local red buses. There's a walkway along the South Bank that would get you close to many attractions on both sides of the river if you're up to walking.

Posted by
1203 posts

First thing is get the RS London guide book and anyother guide books from your local libray. Look at YouTube free videos which RS has on YouTube and others that did videos on London. On this forum there are scrapbooks showing London from others who went on the week long London tour and the Best of England tour ( a few days are in London on that tour). It will give you ideas as to what to see and do.

Do look at the questions posted on London on the England section where you posted your question. Again lots of answers to your question is answered already on this section.

London is spreadout so staying in any section will be fine as long as you are near a tube station. That said, I would make a list of places you want to visit, churches, musuems, the market and then look at google maps to see where they are and you can then figure out where you want to stay based upon the sites you want to see. Look at a map or google maps to see what London looks like and it will give you a better idea of how London is laid out.

As for the Churchill War rooms, excellent museum and necessary to make a reservation. I have been there twice and it is very interesting. But the lines can be long so a reserved time is necessary. Going to Stonehenge you may want to check into a tour to get there. Again the guide books will give you a lot of information.

Have a great trip! And book your hotel as soon as you can, London is popular all year round.

Posted by
2788 posts

I was in London in June of this year. I would have posted everything that ANN said.

Posted by
8 posts

thank you so much for the tips on how to plan the holiday! very methodical and practical steps.

Posted by
1203 posts

Thank you Charlie!

Evaninpaluck: Glad you found this helpful! Have a great trip! Want to hear about it as I am going back to London in May.

Posted by
3122 posts

Since you only have 4 days, it will be important to set your priorities and plan your time. Try to group your destinations so that you're not zigzagging all over the city. If you go to Stonehenge, it will be a full day so that only leaves you 3 days to see London.

Posted by
11136 posts

Your idea to stay in South Kensington is a good one. Look at where the Tube stations are located and book a hotel near one of them. Chelsea is also wonderful.
And book your Churchill War Rooms tickets online. It is near Westminster Abbey so get tickets to tour that treasure the same day too .

Posted by
8 posts

have I said how much I appreciate everyone's comments! Such a great group here. I ordered RS London book today.

Posted by
8649 posts

Once you’ve read the RS London Guide come back to the Forum if you have more questions. His guide is extremely helpful with all sorts of practical insights.

As a frequent traveler to London a few quick tips.

1.) At a stop light don’t jaywalk. Wait for the light and always remember traffic flows the opposite way than in the states. It will take a bit of time for your brain to adjust to that reality.

2.) Pubs are not like American bars. You will see families and their pets in them. After 5pm more likely the younger after work crowd but mid day you might see a mom, or dad or grandparents with a pram and baby.

3.) Public Transport and your own two feet are the best way to get around “ The Sites.”

4.) most sites open at either 9 or time 10am and many close before 7pm.

5.) Checking Timeout London online is a great travel tool. Has up to date info on galleries, theatre, museums, restaurants, events, etc. You might discover something of interest that hadn’t crossed you mind.

6.) Pre Book your timed entrance ticket to the intriguing Churchill War Rooms!

7.) Portobello Road Market on a Saturday if you go by 8am is manageable. After say 9:30 or 10am it’s a scrum....still it’s a fabulous first time wander....
Lots of eye candy! At the end of the Market you’ll find the Golborne Market food stalls. Partake.

8.) the Southbank Center also has a weekend market with a variety of food stalls. If you choose to book Accomodations in that neighborhood it’s a no brainer.

Great city. Enjoy you time there!

Posted by
2107 posts

You've gotten some great advice so far. I also suggest staying in the Westminster area. When my wife made a business trip to London, we stayed at the Hilton Westminster. It was very convenient to all the attractions and also to the Underground. There's not a lot of restaurants nearby, but we did find a nearby cafe with great, inexpensive food.

You can see a lot and have a good trip in 4 days if you plan well. I haven't been to Stonehenge, but from the reviews I've read I'm not sure I'd burn 25% of my time on that one attraction when you could see 2-3 great attractions in the same amount of time.