Please sign in to post.

London

First time to London - where is the best location to stay that is easiest to get around and see the sights. We will have 3 days in London and then take the train to Holyhead and ferry to Dublin

Posted by
184 posts

There are 2 couples. One couple arrives on Sept 19 and the other arrives on Sept 20, early morning. We would have 3 days - depart on Sept 23. Your suggestion of flying does make sense. We were thinking the train would allow us to see some countryside but it would take all day, so perhaps flying does make more sense.

Posted by
184 posts

Also re budget - we are not opposed to 4 star or 5 star hotels but also we would consider an apartment. We have looked at onefinestay.com but I wasn't sure what part of London was best for us to stay. We have friends that stay in Mayfair as they say it is very close to the tube that they like to take. We usually like to be able to walk to sites but not sure how that is going to work in London.

Posted by
9099 posts

The area around Euston/St Pancras/Kings Cross Stations have the best transit connections in town. Most all the tube/underground/subway/metro lines pass through this area. It's a busy area, but some of the cheapest hotels can be found here. Check out the Ibis Euston, and the various Premier Inns.

Posted by
2181 posts

We've stayed all over town in all kinds of lodging. The common denominator is that in London you're always close to something. We've done an apartment iin the area between the Victoria & Albert Museum and Sloan Square, Hiltons Paddington and Metropole, Park Place Hotel ( upscale but small bed), London Bridge Hotel and finally, Premier Inn County Hall. County Hall is a massive building covering at least two blocks but contains several different accommodations from Premier Inn to Marriott. It's located across the Westminster Bridge from Parliment and Westminster Abbey and adjacent to the London Inn.

You may want to let us know price range and which sights are most important to you.

Posted by
11294 posts

Here's a recent thread on the topic of London neighborhoods: https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/england/best-london-neighborhood-for-visitors

And here's EuroCheapo's take on London neighborhoods: http://www.eurocheapo.com/london/hoods/

If you plan to stop off along the way, the train/ferry route from London to Dublin is fine. Otherwise, I'd fly. Look for flights options on Skyscanner, and remember that London has six airports; some take more time and/or money to reach than others, so figure this when choosing a flight. http://www.skyscanner.com/

Posted by
8645 posts

I'm simply going to say the Bayswater/Nottinghill/Holland Park neighborhood. Why? It's vibrant, loads of Bnb's, apartment rentals and Hotels to choose from, close to Paddington Station, major bus routes on Bayswater and Westbourne roads, close to Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens. No disrespect and I understand what Emma is saying about public transport (tube and busses and the Oyster card is your friend) but London is a walkable city. There are 3 tube stops in that neighborhood (Bayswater, Queensway and Nottinghill) However, if you do like to walk a stroll through Kensington Gardens over to Albert Memorial is a great way to enjoy the beauty and every day London life. Another few blocks and you are at the V and A, Science and Natural History Museums. This jaunt is about a mile, mile and a half and lovely if weather is good. Other neighborhoods to consider include Belgravia, Westminster, Marylebone, Knightsbridge.
With the London underground and bus system you can see a great deal of London in 3 days. For example the London Eye, Thames, Westminster Bridge, Parliament, Westminster Abbey, Churchill War Rooms, Horse Guards, St James Park, and Buckingham Palace are ALL within a mile of each other. Have a great time.

Posted by
184 posts

Thank you all for the helpful information. I like the suggestion of flying to Dublin - that does make more sense as we were not planning to stop and see anything along the way. We just want to get there so flying does make better sense.

I will look into the neighborhoods recommended. I am guessing we will have to pay $400 plus for a room. My preference is a king bed but that looks hard to find. Most show double and twins.

I will come back to the forum if I have more questions. Thank you all!

Posted by
184 posts

One last question - which airport is best to fly out of if flying from London to Dublin - does it matter?

Posted by
8645 posts

Have you considered renting an apartment instead of staying at a hotel? Friends and I are doing so for a Fall excursion this year. 2 bedroom Flat between Bayswater and Nottinghill neighborhoods. I'm a firm believer in AirBnB properties. Have stayed in 4 in London. This will be my 5th. All good. Great hosts. Something to consider budget wise. Have a great time!

Posted by
8293 posts

Maybe a first-time trip to London and for 3 days only is not the time to consider an apartment. I think a first timer will need the help of a hotel front desk for all kinds of information and advice.

Posted by
1878 posts

I have stayed in the area around Victoria Station a few times (Belgravia/Pimlico) and found that to be a pleasant and convenient area.

Posted by
3428 posts

We have stayed at the former Thistle hotel in the Victoria Station. I think it is now called the Grosvenor. It is a lovely Victorian Train Station hotel, but has recently renovated. It is a 4 or 5 star hotel, and we felt it was worth the cost. We also liked staying in the Covent Garden area. The former Mountbatten Hotel in the Seven Dials area - now called the Radison Blu Edwardian- Also recently renovated.

Posted by
32702 posts

Oi!!!

'ands off Southend Airport!!

While not on the fastest train line, granted, actually not on 2 of the fastest train lines, Southend Airport has plenty going for it.

I used it very recently for an extremely cheap £19 Easyjet flight to Venice. Easiest place I have ever flown from since Killeen, Texas nearly 40 years ago.

It is just so easy there. One door into the airport, downstairs for arrivals and upstairs for the world's fastest and most polite security check, and then downstairs for departures. Load up airside at the WH Smiths sandwich racks, yes they even took my special Monday O2 phone promotion and gave me a full lunch for a single British Pound, then a comfortable waiting area before you are called to one of the FIVE departure gates for boarding. It wasn't too hard to work out out which of the gates to be near - you can see them all from wherever you are and with about one flight an hour or less, you just look down the line to see which one has a bright orange jet outside.

It was like being at a small railway station.

Speaking of which, there is a very regular service of trains just across the street from the airport, from Liverpool Street and Stratford; both ends of the journey are stepfree by use of escalators and lifts.

Also just across the street is a McDonalds, and a very nice and really cheap Holiday Inn. £49 isn't bad. The breakfast room is on the 5th floor overlooking the whole airport. Very scenic.

So, maybe not the most convenient airport for the West End but I couldn't have gone for anywhere near as inexpensively - all in - from any of the other London airports. And the atmosphere and relaxed attitude is not what I have seen elsewhere.

Posted by
32702 posts

and I wouldn't want to land ANYwhere at 11 o'clock at night. Even 7 is pushing it for me. But I don't have the hurly burly lifestyle of you city folk (if Harrow is city) ;-)

Posted by
661 posts

Nice quality photo's. The two of the Olympic Stadium are computer generated, it never looked quite like that, but the other photo's of London at night / early morning, are true enough representations. Of course you're more likely to see it on a cloudy, rainy day :o) but even then, London looks amazing.

Check out this 4K video of London... https://vimeo.com/63252461

Posted by
1829 posts

My OH flew to Geneva from London City airport the other week and was impressed with how easy and civilised the whole experience was.

Posted by
184 posts

Thank you to all of you for the very helpful information. I like the idea of City Airport and we will probably do that.

The photos and the video are amazing. I love photography and this was a wonderful treat.

I am going to work on this in the next few days and hopefully get our hotel nailed down and there rest of our travel. I love going back over all your comments. So very helpful.

Has anyone done the chunnel to Paris? Is that worth doing? We are thinking about flying from Glasgow to Paris and taking the chunnel to London but it might not happen this trip. Too much else going on. Just looking for thoughts.

Posted by
661 posts

Chunnel for me indicates going from Folkstone to Calais in your car (on a train through the tunnel of course) and I've done that maybe 10x, super easy. Eurostar is the passenger service from St. Pancras, I've done that too, and again, super easy. If you can book a few months in advance, return tickets are about £70 ($100), well they were last time I checked.

Much as I would say London beats Paris (what a surprise). Paris deserves it's own time, and you won't do either city justice splitting 3 days between them.

Posted by
40 posts

Just returned from 9 days in London/Paris. We stayed at Piccadilly Circus and it was extremely convenient because it was walking distance to so much of the core sights, as well as on the Piccadilly and Bakerloo Lines convenient to Heathrow & Paddington. Walking distance to many theatre shows as well. It costs more but can be worth it since you see more with less transit time. I can recommend you my specific flat if you desire.

Posted by
184 posts

Mark - thank you for the info. There will be 4 of us - if your flat was able to accommodate 4, I would love to know the name of it. Thank you so much.

Posted by
11294 posts

"Has anyone done the chunnel to Paris? Is that worth doing?"

First, know that the term "chunnel" upsets Europeans the way the term "Frisco" upsets San Franciscans.

Second, if you are going between two places connected by the Channel Tunnel on the Eurostar, then it is the best way. But Rick is right when he says that the tunnel itself is a 20 minute non-event. Don't take a train through it just for the "experience," as you will merely feel ripped off (tickets on Eurostar are affordable if bought in advance as non-refundable and non-changeable, but skyrocket closer to travel dates and can even sell out).

Some do like a daytrip to Paris on the Eurostar. I wouldn't do it, but I do understand those who do. If this appeals to you, be sure to buy your tickets ASAP while you can still afford them. And remember that you must be checked in (not just in line to be checked in) 30 minutes before departure (unlike other trains, you can't just turn up a minute before departure). Tickets here: http://www.eurostar.com/