Please sign in to post.

London

Headed to London next month. I'm asking how is the best, most efficient, way to get to Hampton Court from near Sloane Square?

Posted by
453 posts

There is a rail stations about a five minute walk from HCP. Regular trains go from Waterloo. Takes about half an hour on the train. Check out www.nationalrail.co.uk for more details.

Posted by
8398 posts

I wanted to add that if you have an oyster card or a London Travel Card, I know it was possible to use these on the train. You will want to confirm current status.

I took the train from Waterloo to Hampton Court and it was very convenient and easy. You exit the train station, turn right, walk across a bridge and you are there.

Posted by
4051 posts

This handy search function, sponsored by the government's Transport for London, will help you get around all through your visit:

https://tfl.gov.uk/

Google maps operates a very fast equivalent although I don't know if it covers ticket prices.

Posted by
1078 posts

If you google Rome2rio it will tell several ways to get there and the cost of each way. I use this all the time to get around in Europe.

Posted by
6572 posts

When we took the train from Waterloo, we got separate paper tickets rather than use the Oyster card because with the separate ticket we got 2 for 1 entrance to the palace. Not sure if that was a special going on in November 2017 or if it’s a regular offer, but it’s worth checking out at the ticket window.

From Sloan square, take either the District or Circle tube lines to the Westminster stop, get out and walk across the bridge to Waterloo station. You could also get off at the Embankment station, then switch to the Bakerloo line and take it to Waterloo station, but walking across the bridge would probably be quicker.

Posted by
15079 posts

No need to backtrack from Sloane Square to Waterloo.

From the Sloane Square tube station, take the District Line to Wimbledon ( make sure you get on the right District Line train.) At Wimbledon, transfer to a South Western Rairoad train to Hampton Court Station. From Hampton Court Station it's five minute walk to the Palace.

You can use your Oyster Card but remember to tap out and in as there are no gates. You'll find the machines on the side near the entrance to the tracks.

I've done this. Not from Sloane Square but from Earls Court.

Posted by
27163 posts

I've seen Hampton Court on the 2-for-1 website myself. It might be one of the very-popular places where the offer is limited to certain times of the year or certain days of the week, but most have no such limitation. The offers do change from time to time, and I last looked seriously at them back in 2019.

Posted by
163 posts

Just popping in to add my own thanks for this thread. I'll be making my first trip out to Hampton Court Palace in early December and am happy to know I can just use my Oyster card on the train out. I'm traveling solo so no need for the 2 for 1 deal. Thank you to all who provided this good information.

Posted by
4051 posts

Here is the government trip planner for London. It will be useful all the time you are there. Google Maps has a similar function but with less info on fares.

https://tfl.gov.uk/