Please sign in to post.

London December 2022

My husband and I are interested in finally taking the trip we had been planning before Covid. We would like to travel this December and are interested in Bath and London with some day trips. We are interested in Stonehenge, Salisbury, Hampton Court, Highclere Castle, maybe Windsor. I’m aiming for 12 days or so on the ground, not counting travel days. Approximate travel dates would be Dec. 6-20 or thereabouts.
We would like to experience the Christmas feel such as small markets, lights, etc. Our last trip to London was in November and some lights were up.
I’m hoping some of you can share your December/Christmas experiences at any of these places, mostly Hampton Court, Highclere and Windsor. We live in the desert and love fall and winter travel so are prepared for colder temps. Any other suggestions are also appreciated.
Thanks, Erica.

Posted by
1827 posts

There is information about Christmas activities at Highclere Castle here. There are limited dates and tickets do need to be booked in advance.

Posted by
50 posts

I was in London in December 2019. Early nightfall provided additional time to enjoy the holiday lights. I recommend Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park.

Posted by
8645 posts

Have spent 1/2 dozen Christmases in London.

A few thoughts:

It will cold but don’t expect snow. Grey days? Yes? Some drizzle? Yes. However, most often clear blue skies.

Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park is enjoyable. Used to be free but now there’s an entrance fee. Great at night with all the neon.

Hampton Court has a Christmas Lights trail. Check their website or check you tube videos to see what the trail looks light.

Kew Gardens is a very popular and lovely at Christmas. Went last November. Pre Book tickets.

See a panto. Last year saw Jack and the Beanstalk at the Hackney Empire theatre with the fabulous Clive Rowe.

Also enjoyed seeing Mark Gatiss’s A Ghost Story at Alexandra Palace. His take on a Christmas Carol with him portraying Jacob Marley.

Spitalfields Market is a great place to shop for Christmas cards, gifts, ornaments.

Wonderful seasonal music to be heard in churches.

These venues are worth researching:
https://www.bricklanemusichall.co.uk/
https://cadoganhall.com/
Wilton’s Music Hall

Great choral event at Royal Albert Hall.

There’s also Christmas Carols sung in Trafalgar Square.

Lastly, checkout both Liberty and Selfridges.

Posted by
75 posts

Thank you all for your responses. Claudia, thank you for your recommendations, they sound delightful. Can anyone share what Bath is like in December ?
I also have questions about a particular hotel. I’ve been considering the Resident Hotel Victoria in London. Can anyone share their thoughts about this hotel?