Please sign in to post.

London - Dec 26, 2023 - Jan 1, 2024 - suggestions for sites not included in the tour

I think I will have two half days free and am excited to plan. All suggestions welcome!!

Posted by
1804 posts

I’m guessing it’s the Rick Steves London tour.

Off the top of my head

• National Gallery
  • Imperial war museum
  • Christmas at Kew Gardens.
  • Holiday decorations at Fortnum and Mason and shops at nearby New Bond St.
  • Theater in the evenings.

Edit. London is great fun during the holidays. Have a great trip!

Posted by
48 posts

MaryPat I will be a part of the Best of London in 7 Days.

Posted by
48 posts

Rocket - great suggestions. I am very interested in the theater.

Posted by
1804 posts

BTW it’s advisable to arrive a day or 2 early to get over jet lag. There are significant closures in London around the Christmas holiday. Please do some research as to days and times. Restaurants and transportation will be impacted.

Posted by
48 posts

Thank you for the info. I also want to visit Stonehenge and I feel that may take a full day. I am definitely going a day early and staying at least one extra day.

Posted by
8682 posts

Whats On Stage
https://www.whatsonstage.com/

https://www.timeout.com/london/food-drink/london-restaurants-open-on-christmas-day

Public Transport ( busses, underground, overground will not operate on Christmas Day ) Taxis will be costly.

Winter Wonderland Hyde Park
Spitilfields
Museum of Water and Steam
Harrods Food Halls

Check ALL of the websites for the places you wish to visit during your short stay to be certain of opening and closing times.

Posted by
1804 posts

On a nice afternoon the area around Paddington basin and little Venice is nice to explore. Or take a boat ride on the Thames down to Greenwich. I think there’s a covered part of the boat if it’s windy or chilly outside. Taking the train back will likely be quicker.

Get free tickets for one of the observation decks. Sky garden or horizon 22.

Posted by
62 posts

I also recommend Christmas at Kew.

Another different activity I enjoyed when I was in London at that time was the Museum of Architecture's Gingerbread City at Somerset House. Someone on the forum had mentioned it and it was really interesting to see all of the designs that the architects and engineers had created. Maybe not a must see for everyone but a nicely done exhibit if you like that kind of thing.