Please sign in to post.

London City Pass

I couldn't find a recent "City Pass" question that wasn't older than 5 years in the forum..

We will be in London for 2 days. We have never traveled abroad, but travel quite a bit in the States. We are used to navigating places like NYC, etc. We want to hit a lot of the major places, mainly Westminster Abbey, Buckingham, Tower Of London, The British Museum. I want to be realistic with what else we can add to that itinerary as we will have friends with a young baby with us. The city pass seems smart if we would then be able to sprinkle in a couple of other attractions, but if we only have time for those main ones, it seems smarter to just outright purchase tickets. We will also be stopping to shop along the way as well, nothing major. Would you invest in the City Pass? I can get a two day one for $165 a piece from my employee benefits.

Posted by
572 posts

Hi, Becky. For 2 days in London, I think going to those 3-4 places in two days is very challenging (especially with a baby), so I wouldn’t recommend adding anything else. I suggest adding the ticket prices for Westminster Abbey, Tower of London, and Buckingham together and see if it’s cost effective. British Museum is free.

Posted by
41 posts

I’d aim to do Buckingham Palace and Westminster Abbey on the morning and afternoon of the same day, it’s a short walk through a park to get between them. I’d check that they both allow babies in.

Do the Tower on the other day (personally, I’d get there around opening time and see the Crown Jewels first) and perhaps towards the end of that day go to the museum

All of these places get very busy in the summer. Even though it is free to enter, there can be a queue for the BM as there is a bag check for security before you go in.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you both! Those were my thoughts as well, and also how we are planning to break up the two days. I just didn't want to get there and realize we could have accomplished more and benefited from the City Pass. Thinking we will just outright purchase our tickets for the three main places.

Posted by
8558 posts

I like the London Pass. I use it on trips when it makes sense. I don't see it making sense for you with just two days. It would be smarter to just purchase tickets at the price you quoted. If you want to see the inside of Buckingham Palace you will need to purchase advance tickets. The British Museum is free, but you should sign up for a timed entry slot.

To give you a contrast. I bought a 6 day pass for 143 pounds that I used last month. I received around 270 pounds of entrance fees. London Pass makes the most sense for longer stays and when purchased at a good price. You have a short stay and a poor price quoted to you.

Posted by
3813 posts

The city pass seems smart if we would then be able to sprinkle in a couple of other attractions, but if we only have time for those main ones, it seems smarter to just outright purchase tickets. We will also be stopping to shop along the way as well,

I agree with Carol. The city pass you've spoken of is not worth it for you. Don't buy it.

You will have plenty to do if you cover the sights you've named: Westminster Abbey, Buckingham (Palace), Tower Of London, The British Museum.
I doubt you will have time to "sprinkle in" a couple of other attractions. Each sight you have on your list takes a half day at a bare minimum. You will barely have time to grab a sandwich and visit the restroom in between these sights.
It may be unrealistic to think you can add more.
Just enjoy the things you are able to have time for, and don't ruin your vacation rushing around like mad trying to fit in more and enjoying nothing.

Your idea of doing some shopping along the way is a good one. Even that takes time, though. If you go to Harrod's you could be in there for hours, browsing.

The British Museum and many other London museums are free.
One could spend three days in the British Museum, so half a day is shortchanging it, but that's all you have to devote to it, and we understand that. Any extra time you feel you will have could be spent having a longer time in there.....well worth it.

Remember also it will take time to travel from one attraction to another. If you're counting the minutes you have, do factor in travel time. Plus down time to eat meals.

Don't buy the pass; you don't need it.

Posted by
41 posts

You don't say how old your baby is, nor how you're planning to transport him/her around.

if you need baby supplies such a nappies (diapers) in London, Boots Chemist shops (pharmacies) will have most of what you need. They're most place including main railway stations and airports. Many of them have qualified pharmacists in store and they are permitted to dispense small quantities of some drugs for common ailments, so if you have any minor medical problems a visit to a pharmacy may be a good first port of call. They also often sell own brand or generic drugs for common problems such as insect stings (wasps are about the worst we get) or upset stomachs which are much cheaper than, and just as good as, the branded products.. There are plenty of other chemist shops, but Boots are the most ubiquitous.

If you're planning to use a pushchair (stroller???), a number of underground (subway) stations show 'step free' access to ground level. As I have found out the hard way with my own grandchildren, this can mean going up one floor in a lift (elevator) and then walking a distance to another one to go up a bit more and so on. I suppose this is what happens when you retro-fit lifts into a system well over 100 years old! If there's two of you and one baby, it's probably easier to carry him/her in your arms with the other adult carrying the pushchair.

Posted by
3 posts

@BillS719
The baby will be 4 1/2 months, but he and his parents live in England. That is mainly why we are coming for our visit, to meet him! So they will have everything they need for him. But I really appreciate you caring to share all the help they might need when in London. We will be staying near their home for the bulk of the trip and then ending it in London.

Also, it will be 4 adults to one infant, so we are hoping between the 4 of us, we can wrangle the baby in and out of places easily, take turns when he gets fussy, etc.... We are so very excited! They are very dear people to us, so it's going to be a beautiful time no matter what we do, the weather...etc.