Please sign in to post.

London

My husband and I are going to London for 3 nights before heading over to Paris. We have never been before and are not sure where we should stay. We like to be near the action, but not so near that it is disruptive. Not too expensive of a place. But want our own bathroom and of course clean and nice. Any suggestions. We are going last week in March.

Posted by
3941 posts

What do you consider not too expensive? For me, not too expensive is about $80-90 a night, but for you, it could be $150 a night - it'll help to give a price range (probably in GBP).

Posted by
8 posts

Probably between $100-$120. Just want it to be a nice place! Would possibly go a tad higher if it was worth it!

Posted by
2707 posts

Get ready for sticker shock. Close to the action, clean, nice, $100-120? Hope others can help you but start by looking at booking.com for places available on the dates you want. I think you'll find very limited choices at that price.

Posted by
6113 posts

It's always useful to think in terms of the currency wherever you are visiting, not your own.

You have several issues: the end of March is school and university Easter holidays; rooms have been available for months and this is a relatively "last minute " booking for the best deals; and your budget is low for central London, despite the strong dollar!

I have just looked on the Premier Inn website - they are a chain of value hotels - standard, clean rooms - a room in the Westminster area at the end of March ranges from £80 to £140 per night, room only. Sunday nights are usually the cheapest. The further in advance you book these rooms, the cheaper they are.

Posted by
8 posts

I can stretch my budget. Has anyone stayed right in Soho or Covent Garden area. I was also looking at some places in Belgravia. Wasn't sure if Belgravia is less exciting. We are going at an off time, so places seem a bit less expensive.

Posted by
2507 posts

Soho and Covent Garden are the heart of central London - very busy areas. Belgravia is more select, very exclusive.

It's not the areas that are of concern - can you actually afford to stay there?

Posted by
54 posts

We had good luck at Premier Inn County Hall. Inexpensive and clean. Not upscale but not bad either. And it's right by the London Eye, so you can always find your way back!

Posted by
34 posts

I can't recommend specific places to stay, but for areas to consider, what about near St James's Park tube station, near Westminster Cathedral or Pimlico? We've had visiting family stay in those areas and they really enjoyed it. Close to the action (an easy bus ride or walk to Soho and you can easily walk to Parliament Square) but not in the thick of it. There are a lot of government building in that area, so it's pretty quiet outside of business hours.

Once, family stayed right in the center (just behind the National Gallery and Trafalgar Square) and while it was great for getting around, they said it was very loud at night. Keep in mind that being in the middle of the action might mean the middle of the pubs, bars and clubs and late (and noisy) nights out are not limited to weekends in London.

If you stay outside the center, everything in London is easy to get to with the Tube (or buses). Take a look at what you want to visit and go a few stations away until you find something your speed.

Posted by
101 posts

I'm staying at the premier inn (earls court) and the end of March. I too needed to find a "budget" hotel but I'm always willing to spend a bit more if it makes a big difference. I chose this based on hours of searching the web and advice here. I fly into heathrow, will take the express then ab easy transfer to earls court will take me very close to the front door. I wanted to be near a tube stop that has several lines to make travel simple and efficient. My time and energy are precious.

Posted by
1371 posts

London is expensive. Try looking in the Victoria Station area. Decide what you want to see and stay where you can maximize your time. Remember, time is your most valuable asset when traveling so be willing to spend a little more on a central location. BTW - Paris is also expensive. You'll want to stay central there as well.

Posted by
34 posts

One more thought - some people avoid the south bank of the Thames, but it can be a great option. It may not be as swanky, but it be easier to stick to your budget. We lived in Vauxhall and could walk to Houses of Parliament in 30 minutes. Our rent was significantly cheaper than it would have been just north of the river. I'm guessing it's a similar situation with hotels.

If you're close enough to the centre, you could even look at bus lines rather than restrict yourselves to the Tube. We always took the bus or walked (right along the Thames most of the way) from our flat in Vauxhall as it was easier, cheaper, more pleasant and often faster than the Tube.

Posted by
548 posts

We like the Motel One. Stayed last time we were in London, staying again in September

Posted by
88 posts

You may already have your accommodations situated and I'm not sure of your dates or availability, but The Belgrave seems to fit the bill pretty well. We stayed at The Belgrave (in Pimlico area situated conveniently between Pimlico station and Victoria station) for 5 nights last September and found it to be lovely, clean, and friendly for a reasonable price. A standard room would be cheaper but upgrading to an Executive room will give you a more manageable space. London rooms run small. The hotel is in an area surrounded but a bunch of hotels, but there are a few restaurants in walking distance and the Pimlico station (easier to navigate than Victoria) is only about a 10 minute walk.

https://en.tripadvisor.com.hk/Hotel_Review-g186338-d295184-Reviews-The_Belgrave-London_England.html