Please sign in to post.

London

Hi--I am considering the London tour for this fall. I am a single female traveler. They seem to emphasize the walking each day and I am wondering if people found this to be a difficult trip. Also, how are the hotels? I have also considered Trafalgar tours but have read that some of the hotels are not up to par so that is making me look again at Rick Steves.

My only other reason is I was considering a Trafalgar tour is it includes Stonehenge and I have always wanted to see that and it is not included in Rick Steves tour.

Advice? Suggestions?

Thanks so much.

Posted by
2426 posts

I did one Trafalgar tour years ago. Completely full bus, lots of extra charge excursions, shopping at designated stops. Never again.

I will be doing my 8th Rick Steves tour in March, as a single. That says it all. They ARE active, if you aren't comfortable walking a number of miles a day they might not be for you.

You could always add an extra day or 2 to take a day trip to Stonehenge.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks so much for your advice. I think I will do the Rick Steve tour then. I prefer a smaller group and I don't want to be nickeled and dimed all week.

Posted by
8732 posts

Have not been on the RS London tour but have done Istanbul and Florence RS tours. Hotels were fine. Clean, safe, great locations. Do not recall strenuous walking on either tour.

I prefer to travel solo.

Will speculate the RS tour hotel will be fine. Just know stairs are a staple in the UK. I’ve always contended its the reason for the longevity of populous.

As far as walking, yes, there will be some. IMHO walking is best way to appreciate London so definitely bring comfortable worn in shoes.

Believe you can look at each days agenda and it will state how much walking will take place.

Stonehenge can be seen on your own. Train from Waterloo Station to Salisbury, board a bus to transport you to the Stonehenge Visitor Center. Pay admission and follow the path. Bus back to Salisbury station, train back to Waterloo.

Definitely arrive a few days before or stay a few days after the tour to explore on your own. Shop, eat, visit free museums, walk along the Thames Path, enjoy sitting on a bench in a park people watching, meander about a cemetery, see theatre. Throughly enjoyed seeing Witness for the Prosecution at County Hall. Staged in a real courtroom.
https://witnesscountyhall.com/

Great city. Enjoy it!

Posted by
8435 posts

I think you will really enjoy this tour. As was said above, you can easily do Stonehenge before or after the tour. I travel as a solo traveler and I have appreciated having the single supplement on the tours I have been on. I like to have my own space at the end of the day.