Please sign in to post.

London at Night

I'd love to hear your ideas for things to do in the evenings during our week in London.

We arrive from Edinburgh on a Sunday, leaving the following Saturday, first week of October. Family of 4 (2 adult daughters).

Obviously, a pub or two. And we are getting tickets to see Six!, with the possibility of seeing a show at Shakespeare's Globe. Our days will be filled with the usual things, Westminster Abbey, museums, Churchill War Rooms, the Tower of London.

What do you suggest?

Posted by
2799 posts

I agree with the above posts…theatre every night. The best seats in ant theatre are in the stalls.

Posted by
1250 posts

Theatre! You could also do an evening London Walks. Go to the Ceremony of the Keys at the Tower of London.

Posted by
4562 posts

Some museums may also be open at night.

Posted by
3139 posts

London's theatre may not be as good as Broadway, but it's still good and more affordable.

Posted by
676 posts

Years ago I went to a comedy improv place, it wasn't expensive and was pretty good. It was also by one of the touristy shopping areas so I walked around after, sorry but I can't remember the exact area. I also did a London Walks pub crawl which would be fun if you like to drink.

Posted by
673 posts

If it matches your interests you could check the concert schedule at Wigmore Hall (classical) or Saint Martin in the Fields (classical/choral), or the Royal Opera or Royal Ballet.

Posted by
369 posts

We went to the theatre three times when we were in London in May/June. We saw Mama Mia, The Play that Goes Wrong, and Six. I highly recommend all three!

Posted by
240 posts

I always try to go to the National Theatre on the South Bank. I’ve seen some amazing plays there. And there always seems to be at least one actor that I recognize from my PBS series obsession.

Posted by
4432 posts

We stayed in Covent Garden which is lively in the evening and very walkable. You're close to restaurants and the theatre district. After a day of wandering and tired legs, we found it the perfect place to just wander and take it all in without having to venture too far.

Posted by
247 posts

There is a cocktail bar ball pit called Ballie Ballerson that might be fun. It’s in the Shoreditch neighborhood which is also fun and lively to walk around at night.

Posted by
9101 posts

Mary Pat have to say London theatre is hands down better than Broadway. Have seen performances in both cities from Richard Burton in Camelot at Lincoln Center in NYC to Maggie Smith in Lady in the Van at London’s Queen Theatre. IMHO Brits do theatre better.

Every London trip since ‘72 has included theatre: Privileged to have seen Judi Dench, Ian McKellan, Mark Rylance, Brenda Blythen, Daniel Craig, and Derek Jacobi.

OP you could visit the Sky Garden or the Shard for a night time view of London.

Posted by
27644 posts

Friday night is when several of the large museums are open until 8 PM or so. I don't know whether any have late hours on other nights.

Posted by
2799 posts

Mary Pat London’s theatre is hands down 1000% better than Broadway, plus you get fabulous seats an 1/8 of the price on Broadway. I never go to London without seeing several shows.

Posted by
308 posts

Well, you all sure do want us to see a lot of theatre! Which isn't a bad thing.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Posted by
7046 posts

We’re always there in late November/early December so get to walk along Regent, Bond, and Carnaby streets, in addition the Covent Garden. We enjoy looking at the lights. You could also visit Liberty, Harrods, Selfridges, Fortnam & Mason, or Burlington Arcade.

Posted by
601 posts

The TodayTix app gives you online access to rush/day-of-performance tickets at
a discount rate. I bought a ticket for Book of Mormon, 10th row center, for 25 GBP
while riding the train. Handy if you decide to go at the last minute and aren't too
picky about what you want to see.

Don't forget concerts. Barbican, Royal Albert Hall, Cadogan Hall have concerts on
top of what others have mentioned. Ronnie Scott's is a famous jazz bar. St Johns
Smith Square church in Victoria has evening concerts and I am sure there are others
in addition to St Martin's in the Fields.

And for something a bit more unique, check out sroaudiences.com, you can get
free tickets for TV show tapings. If the Graham Norton show is taping on the
Thursday night you are there, I would definitely consider trying to see that.

Posted by
7629 posts

I agree with Frank about doing a London Walk in the evening. Over 25 years ago, I was in London and took the Hidden Pubs of Olde London Town walk and loved it! Looks like it is still going strong. https://www.walks.com/our-walks/the-hidden-pubs-of-old-london-town

I had so much fun and it was really interesting. Plus you get to meet other travelers, which can be interesting. The night I went, I was with two women from Germany, a man from Jerusalem, a couple from British Columbia and 5 pilots from Vancouver. :) And if you don't like beer, there are plenty of other evening walks.