Please sign in to post.

London Areas to stay

This summer we will be taking our first trip to London. We want to be near major attractions, the tube, restaurants and in a safe neighborhood. Which are good areas without going overboard on the price of the hotel?

Posted by
1236 posts

Hi, Sew.

London is very large. To get an idea of what you would like to see and then where you might like to stay, I would start with a guide book, Rick Steves' or similar. The local library should have a selection if there is no bookstore handy for browsing.

I have stayed in the Lime Tree, which I believe Rick recommends and also in Premier Inns, big box type hotels which are scattered in many neighborhoods.

Looking at a guidebook, though, and a map, would be my first point of info.

Debbie

Posted by
7580 posts

I think there are a number of neighborhoods that fit the description, but to start, assuming you will be arriving at Heathrow, find someplace relatively close, maybe a few blocks from a stop on the Piccadilly Line that goes from Heathrow, maybe even with a quick change over to the District line. That gets you the Hammersmith area, Kensington, Victoria Station area, and generally the West side of central London. All fine neighborhoods, all with good bus and tube transport, some sights on their own, but also some good neighborhood charm with restaurants and pubs.

Posted by
4557 posts

I feel the Southbank area is tops as it combines value with location and walk-able proximity to much, and river ferries can also replace tube trips. However there's just the one tube line and access to Heathrow is a bit challenging.

Posted by
8728 posts

What's you budget for one of the more expensive cities on the planet?

The tube is convenient through out London. Get The RS guidebook. EXCELLENT resource for first time visitors.

You also need to BOOK ASAP. After taking a look at Google maps and the location of this sites you are interested in visiting then start researching availability.

Also look at the TFL Underground map. To keep travel costs down stay in Zones 1 and 2.

https://tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/images/tube-map.gif

Personally I find the Bayswater neighborhood perfect as I also like to spend the extra $'s and take the Heathrow Express into Paddington Station. I like the public transport options busses and tube stations that are available, I like being able to walk into and around Hyde Park and I like the diversity of Bayswater.

Posted by
3428 posts

We have enjoyed the Victoria Station area and the Covent Garden/Neal's Yard area. Both are very good for walking to some attractions, have good restaurants/pubs in the area, plenty of tube and bus connections. Both are in Zone 1. If you stay inside the Circle Line on the Tube, almost anywhere is good.