Please sign in to post.

London April 6 - 10 2023

So I was keeping tabs on my possible hotels to stay during the first part of our London/England trip in April 2023 and noticed just about everything in the area about Buckingham Palace / Westminster Abbey area was sold out from April 6 - 10 ... plenty of other options just outside this area but was hoping to make it my base for the 8 days in that area since it seemed pretty central to the places we plan to go ... trying to find out if there was a specific reason ... all I could find was a Star Wars celebration (I guess that is a geek term for convention) but that is way east at the Excel Center ... and it is the week before Easter but I don't think that would be the reason ... anyone know what gives during those 4 days that would sell out hotels in that area? ... thanks.

Posted by
1803 posts

April 7 is Good Friday and April 10 is Easter Monday. Both look to be bank holidays in the UK. I don’t think that’s the specific reason but might explain limited availability or higher rates.

Posted by
8375 posts

Most of the Premier Inns are sold out, but there are still some with availability and hefty prices. I would start by getting a reservation now that you can cancel without penalty and then start looking around a bit more.

Still a few reasonably priced VRBO for that weekend if you move fast.

Posted by
2367 posts

Try Hampton by Hilton Waterloo. I just checked and they do have rooms. We stayed there twice last time two years ago and we really enjoyed it. Fantastic breakfast and bus right at front door and one block from Waterloo station. Price about $250 to 300 US dollars a night. Good luck.

Posted by
6113 posts

Easter is the first Bank Holiday of the year and people get the Friday and Monday off, plus schools are on holiday, hence places will be busy and more expensive.

Posted by
457 posts

I was looking at the Premier Inn and their Hub locations when I started checking back in Feb ... I had used this past Easter weekend as a 'practice' to check prices and the locations in the area around the Palace and Abbey all had availability, even right up to the time I would be checking in ... for April 2023, there seems to be a good amount of other hotels all around the city with availability, just in this area and only for those 4 - 5 days there are none, that's why I was surprised by the lack of room availability ... and I usually reserve far enough in advance to get a lower price and always make them refundable ... thanks.