Please sign in to post.

london airports

I will be spending a few days in London in October. I'll be arriving from Madrid and, a few days later, departing to the US. I will be visiting family but would like to be able to use public transportation to and from the airports. right now i plan to fly Madrid to Gatwick and Heathrow to Boston. Are these the best airport choices and can i easily get to and from each one? thanks for your advice

Posted by
6563 posts

The websites for Heathrow and Gatwick have information about getting to and from London. Both have various options depending on cost, convenience, and where in London you want to go. You can use public transportation for either airport. With a few days in London, you should have no difficulty.

Posted by
7 posts

thanks - is it necessary or wise to purchase train tix ahead of time?

Posted by
6563 posts

I know you can save about 50% on the Heathrow Express, between Paddington and LHR, by buying 90 days ahead. That locks you into the date, but not into a particular time, and trains are frequent. If you take the tube the cost is lower and there's no advance purchase. I don't know about Gatwick, but if you buy that ticket in advance leave some time for possible flight delay and immigration clearance.

Posted by
1819 posts

Where do you need to go to from Gatwick?

The Gatwick Express will take you to Victoria Station. There’s cheaper Southern train service (pay using Oyster card) that connects to Victoria too. It’s slightly slower because it makes a few stops. There is also train service to other London rail stations.

Posted by
8889 posts

London actually has SIX airports. All have trains into London, some also have trains to other locations.

• Heathrow, biggest busiest badest. More intercontinental flights than anywhere else. On western edge of London. Train or tube into central London.
  • Gatwick, number two, south of London. Train into London, and to other places south of London.
  • Stansted, NE of London, train into London, and places north (Cambridge, good connections to York etc.)
  • Luton, North of London, Shuttle bus to station, then train into London, plus a few other places
  • London City, small airport on a former dock, inside London, short runway for short haul flights only. DLR (automated metro) connections to central and East London
  • Southend, newest and smallest. East of London. Trains into London.

Your choice