Please sign in to post.

London accommodation

Hello from Canada. Visiting London for a few days in early September and hope to take in a play, visit Westminster Abbey, the National Gallery, and a walking tour. I am not familiar with the city and would like to stay as close to these areas as I can. Any suggestions of where I might stay that is clean, safe and budget friendly will be appreciated. I would prefer to avoid the tube but prepared to if need be. Thanks.

Posted by
17 posts

I have found the Phoenix Hotel very pleasant and budget friendly. It is near Kensington Park, and close to a tube stop (which I know you said you’d prefer to avoid…but it does make getting around so easy!).

Posted by
15737 posts

You'll find that London attractions are somewhat spread out.

If you don't want to use the tube, there is an extensive bus system.

I will second the suggestion of looking into Premier Inns. An excellent chain that offers decent and clean accomodations at a reasonable price. They are consistent so you know what you are getting from property to property.

Posted by
725 posts

OP, Premier Inn will get quite a few recommendations on the forum, but what would be your budget in £? That may help refine budget friendly suggestions.

As Frank II said, London attractions are somewhat spread out. A line drawn from Tottenham Court Road station to Westminster Abbey that covers many theaters, the National Gallery and Westminster is nearly 1 1/4 mile. For many that's an easy walk, otherwise bus and tube will get you where you want to go. And whether walking or using public transportation, you might find the app CityMapper very useful as a journey planner.

Posted by
7034 posts

Hi, Cdn travel lover,

I recently spent 5 nights in London and stayed at the Premier Inn County Hall, located in South Bank. I loved the location as it was very close to major sights. For example, Westminster Abbey was a quick 10 minute walk from the hotel. I just headed out and over to Westminster Bridge, then crossed and walked to the Abbey. And there are a lot of fun places in South Bank, like Borough Market, the new Globe Theatre, etc.

And the hotel itself was very budget friendly and quite comfortable. Here is a review if you would like to read it. And as was pointed out above, there are numerous Premier Inns all over London, that are budget-friendly and consistently clean and comfortable. https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/england-reviews/review-of-premier-inn-county-hall-london

Posted by
10 posts

Thank you for all the great ideas. I am considering them all. Since I want to see Hamilton, which is at the Victoria Palace Theatre, does anyone know of accommodation within walking distance. If I see an evening play this would be convenient.

Posted by
5691 posts

The Resident Victoria might be a good option. I haven’t stayed there, but regularly stay at one of their other properties (Resident Victoria) and really like their amenities and service. If you want to book there, join their membership program (free) as it gets you a discounted rate.

Posted by
933 posts

I send the suggestion for The Resident Victoria. I stayed there last year for 12 days and will be staying there again in September.

Posted by
9 posts

Our family of four stayed at Cherry Court Hotel which is a 10 minute walk. It’s not fancy but clean, reasonably priced and convenient to Victoria station.