Please sign in to post.

London (3 days) Itinerary advice May 20-28 2023

Heading to London 5/20-5/28 from US with my 3 college kids.

5/21 - Oxford (bus from Heathrow)
5/22 - Bath
5/23 -Stonehenge /Salisbury
5/24 - London Day 1 (pass 10 dowling st, Tour of Westminster, tour of Churchill War rooms)
Maybe attend 5pm service at Westmintster. Any thing else I can pack in? Any good pubs near here. hotel is 55 Guilford Street in Camden (Should I buy tour tix now?
5/25 - Train to Winsdor Castle - St George and changing of the guards. Train back to London . hotel is above.
5/26- London Day 2 (Tower of London, Crown Jewels , St Pauls or River Cruise) Should I buy tix now. this is a day off for the Country. Will everything be packed, should I purchase tix now. Should I switch with any other London day?
5/27 - London Day 3 Imperial War Museum (London 2 hour bike tour) Train at 9pm to Gatwick
5/28- Depart Gatwick

Am I missing anything big- I assume changing of guard is better at Windsor. Should I tour Buckingham Palace? Not into London eye (I get sick). Any other places . Not interested in broadway shows or lounging out.

Posted by
1122 posts

You might consider doing Windsor the first day as it is very close to Heathrow. There are also a lot of bus tours that do Bath and Stonehenge in the same day. I would definitely check out tickets for the things you want to do. Westminster Abbey can sell out pretty quickly. Tickets for the imperial war museum are free so there is no risk in pre-booking them.

I will add that your itinerary seems very ambitious, day after day of 12 hour days. If that’s your travel style, that’s fine, but you might want to consider a little downtime maybe halfway through the trip.

Posted by
9062 posts

Pub near the Fitzroy is the Queens Larder. traditional and well run. Although the address provided is NOT in the Camden neighborhood.

55 Guilford Street is in the Russell Park neighborhood.

If you choose to cram something in on Day 1 try Covent Garden.

What do you mean its a day off on May 26?

Posted by
27592 posts

I'd be worried that at least one of you would be so jetlagged/sleep-deprived on the arrival day as to not even be aware of his or her surroundings on the Oxford day. I would never plan anything of importance on my arrival day.

Posted by
233 posts

Buckingham Palace opens for state room tours in July so no worries in May; it’s not an option. Unless you mean the Mews with the cars, horses, and carriages?

Posted by
22 posts

5/21 - Oxford (bus from Heathrow) sleep overnight in Oxford

5/22 - Bath Drive to Bath in am. Stay all day. sleep overnight in Bath

5/23 -Stonehenge /Salisbury Drive to stongehenge then drive to salisbury then drive to London and return rental.

5/24 - London Day 1 (pass 10 dowling st, Tour of Westminster, tour of Churchill War rooms)

Maybe attend 5pm service at Westmintster Abbey. Any thing else I can pack in? Any good pubs near here. hotel is 55 Guilford Street in Camden (Should I buy tour tix now?

5/25 - Train to Winsdor Castle - St George and changing of the guards. Train back to London . hotel is above.

5/26- London Day 2 (Tower of London, Crown Jewels , St Pauls or River Cruise) Should I buy tix now. this is a day off for the Country. Will everything be packed, should I purchase tix now. Should I switch with any other London day?

5/27 - London Day 3 Imperial War Museum (London 2 hour bike tour) Train at 9pm to Gatwick

5/28- Depart Gatwick

Am I missing anything big- I assume changing of guard is better at Windsor. Should I tour Buckingham Palace? Not into London eye (I get sick). Any other places . Not interested in broadway shows or lounging out.

I believe there is UK Banking holiday on May 26 2023

Posted by
9062 posts

Again I say the address given above is NOT in the Camden neighborhood.

May 26 is a bank holiday so yes, things will be crowded. I’d definitely prebook Tower of London
tickets and visit when it opens.

EDIT: apparently I can’t read a calendar properly.
C’est la vie.

Posted by
1067 posts

26th May is NOT a bank holiday - it’s on Monday 29th, after you have left.

Posted by
7218 posts

Several hotels in the street give their address as Camden. They are in the London Borough of Camden, looking at the paper mapping.
Also I know from personal knowledge of the area, that from a Borough perspective that is correct.
Accepted that not in the narrower definition of the Camden neighbourhood.

Posted by
369 posts

I would advise returning your car in Salisbury (if possible) and take the train to London, rather than returning your car in London.

Posted by
77 posts

Driving in and out of London is a nightmare. Roads all the way to Bath, between Bath and Salisbury and back from Salisbury will take longer than you think and will be stressful. I suggest taking the train as much as possible. Train to Bath, Bath to Salisbury and back from Salisbury. It would be faster and much easier unless you are really well acquainted with English roads.

For Bath, take a taxi to the hotel and then walk everywhere you want to see.

Take a taxi or bus (there are tour buses from the train station) for Stonehenge and you walk in Salisbury.

North Americans don't understand the difficulties driving in England (both being on the left, the quantity of cars and the narrowness of roads except for M roads).

Posted by
369 posts

Yes. I agree with Kirbyc77. Taking trains is easy. Driving in the UK is not, if you're not used to driving on the other side of the road. It can be incredibly stressful. I drove in Chester and Wales when I visited in 2018. It was HARD. I only drove because I was there to see ancestral homes that I couldn't get to any other way. We took trains to Oxford and Salisbury.

It's one thing if you're visiting places that you can't get to by train. But Bath and Salisbury and Stonehenge are easy to get to by train or bus.