Please sign in to post.

Lodging In London

The other forums Ive checked are at least two years old. So Im starting a new forum.

We will be in London April 8-13 and I need a place to stay located in a safe part of town. We have a very early flight out Monday morning from Gatwick. (I think the train leaves from Victoria station?)
Recommendation on lodging? There are two of us.

Posted by
2181 posts

If I don't ask you this, someone else will-what is your budget? The "safe" is easy since I've never seen anyone mentioned that they stayed in a dodgy part of town and central London is pretty safe. But, the budget part is crucial.

Posted by
6113 posts

Most areas in London are safe as long as you are sensible late at night. It is no different to anywhere else on the planet. Some streets are better than others.

If you have an early flight, I would stay at Gatwick the night before rather than risk train problems - you can go there in the evening so you will not miss out on any sight seeing. Premiere Inn have 2 motels there - I presume your last night is 12 April and both currently have availability and cost either £39 or £49 per room per night (no breakfast). These are a bit soulless but it is better than risk missing the flight.

Posted by
21 posts

My budget can be flexible if needed but Id like to stay in a clean, decent place for $200-$250US/night. I think thats approx $130-180 BP. Am I being realistic with the budget? Ive looked on Expedia and I think this was a comfortable budget- I think the prices were in USD.

Ill be more specific on the safety. I don't want to be in an area/neighborhood where two American females may be harassed. Im traveling with a 14 year old girl and myself (40 yo female).

Thank you for your suggestions.

Posted by
250 posts

I stayed at Luna Simone, right near Victoria....and you can even hop a bus right outside the door that will take you there, and I was solo . It was fantastic, and I felt very safe. You might check if it will be light that time of day and what the bus times are (not sure when in the AM you need to go). You can always take a taxi direct from your hotel's door, if you are more comfortable doing that. Or, you can switch to a hotel at Gatwick for that day.

Posted by
8645 posts

Not sure why you are so fearful about being harassed. I've traveled to London for over 40 years, Traveled solo and stayed in nearly every neighborhood. Not once have I felt unsafe. But in answer to your question you might try the Vancouver Studio Apartments in the ethnically diverse and vibrant Bayswater neighborhood. Or the Premier Inn chain, or the Hilton Express at Earl's Court. You could also see if the highly recommended Luna and Simone B and B has availability. Lastly Frommer's explanation of London neighborhoods might ease your angst. http://www.frommers.com/destinations/london/666798#sthash.vUtrivlf.dpbs

Posted by
21 posts

Claudia, that is a helpful link and Ive seen the Luna recommended a few places. Thanks again to all!

Posted by
2181 posts

We did the Premier Inn County Hall last trip and we quite pleased. I'm not sure the current rates, but the hotel consistently scores well on Trip Advisor and is an easy walk to the tube. It's just across the river from Parliment and Westminster Abbey, and right next to the London Eye. Think Holiday Inn Express with better beds ( and the ubiquitous electric kettle). There were lots of families (mostly British) when we were there. The P.I. Waterloo is about a block away, if they have a better rate.

Posted by
1 posts

Hope this isn't too late, but I stayed in London twice and found apartments through London Connections out of Utah. I would strongly recommend them. Their website is http://londonconnection.com. They can also send a driver to pick you up at the airport, which we did and would certainly suggest. Those overnight flights can leave you groggy. It's great to have someone meet you at the airport and drive you to the apartment. Our apartment was on Pall Mall, and it was very clean, and in an excellent location.

Posted by
1174 posts

We always like to stay at Travelodge that has bargain but very safe and quite comfy hotels all over London. Premier Inn also has the same type of hotels scattered about the city. Check out www.travelodge.co.uk and sign up for bargain rooms. They are currently having a special for spring with rooms around 29 GBP or $45/night, all in safe areas. We like the one in Covent Garden, right in the heart of the city, and the Marleybone Travelodge, right across the street form the Marleybone rail and tube station which makes travel very easy. The advice to get a hotel at Gatwick is well worth considering. We fly out of Heathrow usually and always get a Premier or Travelodge room prior to flying home. We spend the day in the city, or sometimes Windsor, and then repair to our airport hotel to settle in and we are able to easily get to the airport with no hassles by bus or taxi.

Posted by
1221 posts

We had good luck with Holiday Inn Express-Swiss Cottage. Kitty corner from the Finchley Road tube station and across the street from a small shopping mall with a Wagamama, Nando's Chicken, Marks & Spencer, etc. Looks like they're running about 100 GBP per night for your dates:

http://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/hotels/us/en/london/lonfr/hoteldetail

If you do book there, ask for a room on the car park/ hill side, which is surprisingly quiet for a London hotel.