Please sign in to post.

Liverpool

We are planning our first train trip to England in September. Been there many times but always with a car. My husband and I love history - always looking for historical sites. I want to see Liverpool's museums on slavery and the maritime history. For those of you who have visited Liverpool, is it worth a visit? Whereas I love the Beatle's music, I'm not wanting to visit the Beatle's sites there. How many days do you think is appropriate? Thanks for your input.

Posted by
6113 posts

Liverpool is worth a visit. I haven't been to the Slavery Museum, but the Maritime Museum and Albert Dock are worth seeing. Tate Liverpool is here, if you like modern art.

The two cathedrals are very different - the traditional Anglican cathedral and the modern Catholic Cathedral, known as Paddy's Wigwam, due to its shape.

If you are interested in football, you could tour Anfield Stadium.

Two days here should be sufficient for the highlights. You could also do a day trip to Chester from Liverpool.

Posted by
269 posts

Definitely worth a visit. The museums are excellent, and it's enjoyable just walking around the waterfront area. They have some great restaurants there. They also have a number of events throughout the year, so check out current events to see if any appeal to you.

I spent two days and would have enjoyed spending more; I did visit Beatles sites for part of the visit, so I didn't get a chance to explore all of the other museums as much as I would have liked.

Posted by
11294 posts

I spent four nights in Liverpool, and got to see a lot of the attractions, but certainly not all of them. Many of the attractions are free. However, the tour of John's and Paul's childhood homes is not only not free, but it requires advance reservations since the numbers are very limited. I feel it's worth the trouble even if you're not a Beatles fan, as it provides insight into how people lived in that time and place. I skipped a Beatles bus tour, but the regular hop-on, hop-off bus is very worthwhile and was only £9.

If you just want to see the Slavery Museum and the Maritime Museum, you could do it in one very exhausting day, or in do it in two days and enjoy it more. There's a LOT to take in in these museums (all in the same building).

My trip report from September 2016 is here, with lots more information and tips: https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/trip-reports/uk-trip-report-glasgow-manchester-liverpool-in-september-2016

As I say in the report, Rick has an excellent chapter on Liverpool in his England and Great Britain books (exact same chapter in each, so no need to buy both). See what interests you in the city before deciding how long to spend there. And don't overlook a day trip to Chester - not only nice in itself, but a very interesting contrast with Liverpool.

Posted by
1446 posts

I liked your report, Harold. Thanks. Very helpful.