Please sign in to post.

Last Night of the Proms

Does anyone know if attending the Last Night of the Proms in Hyde Park requires tickets. And if anyone has attended in the park, any thoughts on their experience would be appreciated. Thank you.

Posted by
2204 posts

You do need to buy a ticket and they are in great demand...
More information here

Posted by
7326 posts

Is Hyde Park last night actually happening this year?

The link above is to the actual concert in the Royal Albert Hall.

I see nothing on either the BBC website or the Royal Parks website to say it is happening, and a TA review also suggests the same.

Posted by
43 posts

Thanks isn, I agree with you. I have checked Royal Albert Hall (we have tickets for Prom 70), the BBC, the Royal Parks (and TA also-any resource or authority I can think of), so you and I are thinking alike.

And to emphasize, I am only interested in Last Night being celebrated in Hyde Park (or other park?).
Thanks for any thoughts.

Posted by
91 posts

I too was hoping to go to Hyde Park for the Proms this year. After checking everywhere, I finally e-mailed the BBC and was told it will not be broadcast this year in the Park. No reason was given, but I've heard since that security was an issue.

Posted by
43 posts

Larry, thank you for your answer. You were a step ahead of me in contacting BBC directly! I am very disappointed…perhaps in the years ahead it will be revised. It looked wonderful on YouTube and we wanted to be part of it.

Posted by
43 posts

This is probably silly to ask, but I’ll give it a try anyway. Is the BBC broadcast audio only, as it is in the US, or is the Last Night telecast? And the real question is: if it is telecast, would it be shown at pubs? We originally wanted to celebrate the occasion elbow-to-elbow with Londoners enjoying the music and the spirit in Hyde Park. We just don’t want to listen to it in our hotel room if there is any way to be with some — even small — part of the London community for it. Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Posted by
1188 posts

Last Night of the Proms is always on TV.

Watching it in the pub is an interesting concept. Culturally, I can't imagine that happening. You never know though!

Posted by
27 posts

is it worth it to go and “hang out” outside the Royal Albert Hall that evening? Just to enjoy the ambiance?

Posted by
654 posts

is it worth it to go and “hang out” outside the Royal Albert Hall that evening? Just to enjoy the ambiance?

I guess you might find it interesting to watch the promenaders queueing for the show beforehand, with their flags and Union Jack hats, if that’s the sort of thing you like.