Please sign in to post.

Lake District Lodging

Hi guys,

Looking for a hotel in a charming Lake District town for a couple of nights. Will do some hiking dinner at a pub, explore the town, then return to London. Our budget is $200 a night (or so).

I'd love any ideas! Thanks in advance!

Posted by
62 posts

We loved the Ees Wyke (spelling?) Country House in Near Sawrey in the Lake District. It was walking distance to Beatrix Potter's home and the tiny villages of Near Sawrey and Far Sawrey were charming.

Posted by
968 posts

How about in Keswick? Has anyone stayed in one of the hotels or country manors?

Posted by
7214 posts

Ees Wyke at Sawrey was another of Beatrix Potter's Holiday homes. A nice place, not the easiest to reach by public transport on a quick visit. Probably best by taxi from Windermere.

Keswick, Ambleside and Windermere all get over run with day trippers and are only really charming by night.

I wonder about the Keswick Hotel- the former Railway Hotel- or even the place down by Crow Park which Rick's Tours often use. That ticks all the boxes and is in a quiet location, and is within budget if towards its top end. It usually seems to be around $150 to $180.

Hundreds of properties suit this specification. Do you want a hotel, or a little family run bed and breakfast?

I assume you are coming up by train from London?

What about Grasmere?- gets less over run by day. The Swan Hotel would suit you. Bus stop from Windermere station outside. It is as much Pub as it is Hotel.

Posted by
7214 posts

If you want to Ees Wyke you can get there by taxi or bus from Windermere station- road all the way.

But the more interesting route is across Lake Windermere. Either on the Windermere Car Ferry or the seasonal launch from Bowness Pier. Then the 525 bus up the hill to Sawrey, run by the Mountain Goat- who are better known for their tours.I
The car ferry is the route the locals use because it is a big short cut.

Posted by
1333 posts

Hi CaliMom -

I’ve just stayed overnight at the Grasmere Hotel in Grasmere in the last couple of days which was very pleasant. Price might suit you, I was by myself, so if there’s two of you, what I paid might not be comparable. I could have dined there, but instead went to the New Inn pub with friends which was the only other place doing meals (apparently) other than the other hotels, but we were all gasping for a pint after a long hard day on the tops! Less arduous hiking is available from Grasmere as well!

Grasmere is easily reached by train and bus. Take the west coast line from Euston as far as Oxenhope (correction - (OxenHOLME!) with Avanti, then Northern Rail for the short connection to Windermere. The bus stop for Grasmere (number 555) is literally just outside the station as you exit the platform. Easy!

Ian

Posted by
7214 posts

Spell check having great fun as it does- the main line station is Oxenholme, Oxenhope being on the preserved Keighley and Worth Valley Railway in Yorkshire!!

Posted by
62 posts

We stayed at the Keswick hotel which was the old railroad hotel. It was okay, a bit worn looking. The breakfast buffet was nice and the grounds were nice. Unfortunately for us, there was a music festival in Keswick and the town was crowded. The music could be heard all over the lake. So for me, the peace of the Sawreys was preferable. Quiet, green hills, sheep, flowering gardens.

Posted by
7214 posts

Yes the Keswick Hotel and the Keswick Country House Hotel are the same place.

Lyzzick Hall is remote in the sense of being on its own in the middle of the countryside, but the hourly X4 bus from Penrith via Keswick stops right outside. The last bus back from Keswick is at 2015, so you could have an early dinner in town. A taxi back should be less than £20 if you are out any later.

Posted by
6977 posts

In Keswick we stayed at Brookfield B&B Guest House. From it you can walk to Castlerigg Stone Circle (less than a mile) and downtown Keswick is a mile away.

Posted by
7214 posts

No personal experience of the Keswick Park- you don't stop in hotels when you are 20 minutes away (at least by car, and on a very good day), but really there isn't a bad hotel in Keswick.

There is too much competition- anywhere that wasn't up to the mark just wouldn't survive.

The Keswick Park- the bus from Penrith stops effectively straight outside.

Another one, right in the town Centre, is the Skiddaw Hotel. That is the hotel many local people would go to (at least in town) for a special event- whether to stay or for a special meal- https://www.lakedistricthotels.net/skiddawhotel/

Out of town I might go to what used to be called the Swiss Lodore Hotel in Borrowdale (now the Lodore Falls Hotel and Spa), or for a very important event the Armathwaite Hall.

But neither of those suits your particular specifications.

If there was a music event on, like described by one poster above, given how far away the lake is, that will affect the whole town (not just the Keswick Hotel, which is about as far away from the lake as above). That was just extra-ordinarily bad luck, and certainly isn't the norm. I am actually trying to think what event that might have been. A pretty unusual event anyway.

I'm happy enough if you are set on Keswick, But, to me, Keswick is over-touristed. Probably deservedly so. Yes it's a nice town. I, personally, think you would have a better experience at Grasmere or even Pooley Bridge (a village, really) down at the end of Ullswater. I am trying to get somewhere accessible for a short two night stay. Pooley Bridge benefits from the new late night buses from Penrith.

Posted by
62 posts

To be clear, we didn't hear the music at the Keswick Country hotel. It is away from the center of town. But the area around the lake was loud and crowded. I can't remember the exact name of the music festival but it was a Saturday in mid May.

Posted by
1333 posts

Stuart - damn spellcheck! Anyway everybody knows it’s pronounced ‘Oxnup’ and it’s in Yorkshire as opposed to Cumbria!

Ian

Posted by
15 posts

We are currently staying at the Rothay Garden Hotel in Grasmere. Clean, very quiet, comfortable beds, relaxing spa and very good restaurant. Easy short walk to shops and restaurants in Grasmere, and walkable access to beautiful hikes in the area. Recommended if you are still looking for a hotel in the area.

Posted by
968 posts

Keswick Park is booked! Will let you all know.

Thank you very much !

Posted by
3836 posts

The hotel mentioned by Stuart is a great choice!

Crow Park Hotel, here's the website so you can check prices and availability:
https://www.crowpark.co.uk/
A nice-looking building with views over Crow Park in front, and, from the rooms facing the back, a view of the mountains.

Perhaps you can get a room here if you act quickly.
Great rooms, beds, breakfasts and hosts!
We stayed there during our Rick Steves Best of England tour and will stay there again.
Excellent!

Posted by
7214 posts

Well that was a bit obvious that it was the Crow Park Hotel. I've seen it in the videos, could visualise it as clearly as anything and walk past that hotel often enough (especially at breakfast time and early to mid evening), but couldn't quite put my finger on the name.