Please sign in to post.

Lake District

We are looking to spend two nights in September in Lake District. I know Rick recommends Keswick, but we are wondering about staying in Penrith to have a less crowded feeling. Has anyone stayed at Ullswater House in Pooley Bridge, Netherdene Country House B&B, or Barton Hall, or Eden Gate? Recommendations would be appreciated. Also, how is the Ullswater Steamer trip - worth the time? Has anyone been to Hutton in the Forest? The pictures make it look so pretty.

Posted by
2455 posts

Can't comment on Penrith, but I just spent two nights in Keswick last week, and the town and the area nearby were wonderful! Lots to explore, and not really a crowded feeling at all. Enjoy the Lake District!

Posted by
8889 posts

Penrith is not in the Lake District, but just outside. It is where you turn off the M6 motorway for Keswick.
As it is not in the Lake District it attracts much fewer tourists, and you need to drive a little further every day to get to the Lake District sights.

Posted by
10 posts

I agree with Larry. We were just there on RS tour. Keswick was lovely, not crowded and I loved the Dog and Gun pub. Great place to get your laundry done too. It was one of my top places on the tour.

Posted by
6548 posts

I wouldn't think Keswick would be crowded in September (we were there in May), and Penrith is a good ways off from the lakes. On the other hand, we walked through the Dog and Gun several times and never found a place to sit! Guess it was just bad timing. ;-)

Posted by
3391 posts

Penrith is quite a drive to the Lakes and it doesn't have a lot of character. It really isn't less crowded - only difference is that the crowds are people who live there, not tourists! You'll be happy you stayed in Keswick...the location is amazing and you can do easily escape the town, although it's a lovely place to be and I don't think you'll want to once you are there!

Posted by
49 posts

Thank you all. You have convinced us to stay in Keswick - just finishing up our reservations at Dunsford Guest House. It seems just right - reviews on TripAdvisor mention great shower water pressure and wonderful breakfast. A Rick Steves recommendation, we are exited to try.

Posted by
49 posts

Thanks to all of you. We have booked two nights at Dunsford Guest House and are looking forward to our trip.
Is the Ullswater Steamer trip worth our time for the beauty of the area?