Please sign in to post.

June 2022 itinerary help - Go East or West after Bath?

Hello! We are finishing up a June 2022 hiking trip in Bath, and are planning our final 5 days June 24-28. We will be visiting London on the front end (and have been there multiple times before), so would like to spend the remainder of our time exploring other areas. We are renting a car to leave Bath, so have driving flexibility. Here are two possible routes. Feedback is much appreciated! (And apologies in advance that one of the routes includes Wales even though this is the England forum - wasn't sure where to put this question.)

• Option 1 - Bath-Cardiff-Portsmouth-London: Leave Bath and travel to Cardiff, spending 2 nights in Cardiff. Possible sites to visit include Caerphilly Castle, hiking the Wales Coast Path, and Tinturn Abbey (I love the Wordsworth poem). Return to England driving east to Portsmouth, stopping in Stonehenge (possibly doing a guided walking tour there). Spend two nights in Portsmouth. (My husband is very interested in the naval history so Portsmouth is high on his list.) Stay in London (or Heathrow area) 6/28 prior to flight. I know this route includes some backtracking but I've always wanted to see South Wales.
  • Option 2 - Bath-Portsmouth-Canterbury-London: Leave Bath, and travel to Portsmouth stopping at Stonehenge on the way. Spend two nights in Portsmouth, then drive East, visiting Seven Sisters, Beachy Head, possibly doing other hiking on the South Downs Way (and maybe also fitting in the cliffs of Dover). Either stay one night in Eastbourne and 1 night in Canterbury, or two nights in Canterbury. Return to London to stay evening of 6/28.

Thank you in advance for your help! I think I am a little out of the habit of trip planning, but what a wonderful problem to have.

Posted by
843 posts

Option 1, without a doubt. Take advantage of being in the region - I failed to do it myself in 2003 when I only got as far west as Bath, and I kick myself for that because I have not been back, although I have been to London several times since, plus other destinations, too.

Posted by
6534 posts

I’m not a huge Cardiff fan, but loved Tintern Abbey, Caerphilly and Coch castles (close to each other), as well as Monmouth. For the limited time you have I’d take option 2 and head east, but if you don’t mind a little backtracking, either would work. While at Canterbury you could visit Leeds castle. You could spend the better part of a day at the historic naval yard in Portsmouth. I don’t think either option is better than the other, rather, it’s really a personal preference. What you don’t see on this trip you can see on the next. One could easily spend 3 weeks in Wales alone.

If you do go to Caerphilly castle, the Crescent Rd. parking lot on the back side of the castle is less expensive and less crowded than the one in the center of town, in front of the castle.

Posted by
1819 posts

Maybe something has been done to improve the experience, but when we visited Tintern Abbey many years ago we were disappointed. The abbey itself was lovely but it is right next to a very busy and very noisy road! It was difficult to imagine the site as it once was because of all the traffic.

The UK is full of ruined abbeys - try to include one in your plans that is in a peaceful location. You might also enjoy Bayham which is peaceful. It is located in Kent. Lots of great abbeys in Yorkshire and the Scottish borders.

Posted by
6534 posts

There is a two lane road by Tintern Abbey. It’s the only road into town coming from the south and the most direct route if headed up to Monmouth, so there isn’t much that can be done about any noise. It didn’t distract us at all the two times we’ve been there, most recently in 2018. It is worth visiting. If you had more time and wanted to visit a more remote Abbey ruin in Wales, Neath Abbey closer to Swansea is worth visiting but not as impressive as Tintern. In an ideal scenario you’d have plenty of time to see everything, but with trips that is seldom the case.

Posted by
5262 posts

I would opt for option 2.

Upon leaving Portsmouth I would recommend a visit to Portchester Castle https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/portchester-castle/ followed by Titchfield Abbey https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/titchfield-abbey, it's not as famous as Tintern Abbey but no less interesting and also quieter than Tintern with no busy road running alongside.

I wouldn't bother with the Cliffs of Dover, the iconic sight is only really visible when approaching from sea and Dover itself is pretty run down. Besides, if you're visiting the Seven Sisters then you'll have a much better cliff experience there. I would recommend Dover Castle and if you purchase an overseas visitor pass from English Heritage you'll have free entry to Stonehenge, Portchester Castle, Titchfield Abbey and Dover Castle amongst many others, these four alone would more than recoup your costs of the pass.

Posted by
188 posts

This is such helpful feedback on both options - thank you everyone!

Jamieelsabio and Cynthia - I appreciate your advice on Tinturn Abbey, Cardiff, etc. The Tinturn Abbey noise information really helps in managing expectations.

Jojo Rabbit - Hopefully you will be able to visit Wales one day!

JC - Thank you for your insights and the great tip on the overseas pass. I really appreciate the links to Portchester Castle and Titchfield Abbey.

We are leaning towards option 2 as I think it gives us a little more flexibility to add/swap out things we would like to see. Additional feedback and suggestions are welcomed! The generosity of the forum posters never ceases to amaze me. :)

Posted by
1819 posts

We spent a few days in southeast England a few years ago. Some sites we enjoyed were Hever Castle (Anne Boleyn's childhood home) , Ightham Mote (if you include it, try to read an old historic novel, Green Darkness by Anya Seton which is set there), ruined Bayham Abbey which I mentioned earlier, Hastings, and the nearby site of Battle Abbey where the famous battle actually happened. If you go there, be sure to get the audio guide when you visit.