Please sign in to post.

Itinerary for May 2020—comments?

I’m celebrating my 60th with a 2 week trip to England, in part to see the village in Cornwall where my ancestors lived for many centuries. We’ve been to London once before, but I’ve also set aside a few days aside to go to places we had not previously visited.

Any comments regarding this plan would be most appreciated. Thank you so Much!

5/15/20 fly to London
5/16/20--Arrive London, bus to Oxford-stay in Oxford
• Blenheim Castle (take bus)
5/17/20 —Blenheim Castle (take bus)—stay in Oxford
5/18/20 Pick up car in Oxford. Drive around the Cotswolds, sleep in Cotswolds
5/19/20 Cotswolds, sleep in Cotswolds
5/20/20 Drive to Portsmouth, sleep in Portsmouth
• Royal Navy shipyard
5/21/20— Drive to Glastonbury, see Arundel Castle sleep in Wells
5/22/20 Glastonbury—sleep in Wells
5/23/20 Drive down Penwith Peninsula, take wife to Port Issac, sleep in Padsow
5/24/20 drive to Penzance —-sleep in Penzance
-visit ancestral village of Crowan
5/25/20 Drive to Dartmoor, sleep in Chagford
5/26/20 Chagford
5/27/20 Drop car off in Bath, train to London, sleep in London
5/28/20 London—-did not get into St.Paulls last time, will do this time
5/29/20 London
• Chartwell (in Kent)—Churchill home or Canterbury??? Can’t decide which one
5/30/20 London
• Windsor Castle
5/31/20 Fly home

Posted by
1325 posts

Your places to visit are definitely different from mine but that’s a lot of moving around and driving. How many people is ‘we?’ A group only moves as fast as the slowest member. Packing up, checking out, checking in, unpacking, parking the car, retrieving the car is going to be a huge time suck. There’s not much cushion if something goes wrong, getting lost or someone really wanting to sleep in a couple of hours.

Posted by
3122 posts

I agree this is an awful lot of moving around. You'll be experiencing the interior of your rental car more than your chosen destinations. I suggest reviewing your list and choosing at least two, preferably three, places to forgo.

Posted by
734 posts

Why drive to the Cotswold, then back to Portsmouth then back to Glastonbury (which is near the Cotswolds)?. I would do Portsmouth when you are looking at doing Kent. But i agree alot, alot of drving

Hi Jeff

I agree with the previous comments in that seems to be one busy itinerary! We certainly like to cram as much in as possible on our travels so whilst I understand the approach first suggest leaving a little time to breathe.

What are your main interests and priorities to see when you're in the UK? If you can clarify that I could provide more thoughts. I've lived and worked in London for over 20 years so have plenty of suggestions for there and the local areas too.