Please sign in to post.

Isle of Wight

Planning to go to Isle of Wight in early Septemberafter visiting the Cotswolds. HF Holidays has a short Wight package and one that is almost a week, both with emphasis on walking. On this small island is there enough to see to merit five or six days of foot travel? The shorter visit offers two days of walking.

Posted by
17244 posts

I can’t say if there is “enough to see” in the Isle of Wight to keep you busy on for a week, but I will endorse HF Holidays in general. We have enjoyed several 3- or 4-night walking holidays with them.

Have you looked at the detailed brochure for the 7-night trip? They set out the walk choices for each day. There are two versions, depending on the dates you choose. This is Version 1, offered Sept. 9-16.

https://www.hfholidays.co.uk/holidays-and-tours/guided-walking-freshwater-bay-7?format=pdf&vid=1109

If you have a week to spend but are concerned about spending it all in one place, you could see if the dates work out to combine a 3-night stay on the Isle of Wight with a 4-night holiday at another location nearby. The start and end dates are Monday and Friday for most of their guided walking, so it can work to move directly from one location to another, as long as there is not a lot of transfer time involved. We have looked at doing this ourselves.

Exmoor or St. Ives might combine well if the dates work out.

Posted by
5480 posts

Definitely plenty to fill a week. You may want to look at getting an overseas English Heritage pass as there are quite a few sites on the island, Osborne House and Carisbrooke Castle being my favourites. The Needles also offers spectacular chalk cliff views.

Posted by
33511 posts

the island is a bit bigger than it looks, and there is plenty to see on foot. I was in my car this summer and had plenty to see in 3 days and we weren't doing a lot of walking (disabled wife).

On foot - plenty. Vistas from some of the beaches are fabulous, there is the Downs, several English Heritage sites and National Trust sites, I am sure that if I were doing long distance walking I'd be happy.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you Lola, JC and Nigel. I have booked a week on the Isle of Wight, with HF. Looking forward to it!

Posted by
17244 posts

And I will look forward to your trip report! We have friends in nearby Poole who have invited us to visit, and we could easily add on an HF Holidays walking trip on the Isle of Wight.

Posted by
4049 posts

During our 3 week stay in Poole last summer we did a day trip to the Isle of Wight by ferry from Southampton. I was happy with our day trip by ferry and minivan because we were going mainly to see Osborne House which took up a half day. We also walked out to the Needles and took the chairlift down to the colorful sand cliff beaches at Alum Bay. As the van circled us around the island for our trip back to the ferry I saw so many great costal paths, charming villages and grand houses in the distance that I could it see why some friends of ours prefer to stay a week at a time in the island. I think you’ll have a great time exploring.