Please sign in to post.

Is Luna and Simone convenient? + 2 day road trip itinerary after London sightseeing

Hello all,

I'm heading to London with my Dad in late April. We fly into Heathrow on 04/29 and out on 05/06. We are planning to be in central London Saturday - Wednesday, then do short road trip (renting a car at Heathrow) at the end of the trip. In regards to our central London hotel, I have had success with RS recommendations in the past so I was originally leaning towards the Luna Simone hotel since it is so highly recommended by RS fans and on Trip Advisor. My hang up? I really don't think it will be that convenient of a location. I am leaning towards staying by Gloucester Road (at the Montana Hotel) because we won't have to change lines to/from the airport, and can stay within a 2-3 min walking distance of the station. I want to make sure I'm not missing anything...is the Luna Simone potentially a better pick for our time in central London?

In regards to our road trip, I have put our itinerary below.

Wed - Leave bags at central London hotel: Greenwich for majority of day; pick up bags and tube to Heathrow; rent car and drive to hotel within 15-20 miles of airport (Ascot, Berkshire area?).
Thursday - Windsor, Salisbury and Stonehenge; return to hotel
Friday - Bleinheim Palace and Oxford; return to hotel
Saturday - Return rental car to Heathrow; 12:30 pm departure flight

Is it worth it to rent a car / stay outside the city or would we be better off staying in central London and doing day trips via train? Is the above itinerary too ambitious, even with a car? I have us staying in the same Ascot-area hotel every night, just to minimize the time spent having to settle into a new hotel each night.

Thanks and looking forward to any feedback!

Posted by
1116 posts

Other than Greenwich it doesn't really seem like you're spending time in London itself so it doesn't make sense to stay in Luna Simone. To me, it makes sense to have the rental car as it will give you more freedom to go to all those places. On my first trip to London, my brother in law was working in England at the time so we had the use of his car. We had a similar itinerary as yours. He picked us up at Heathrow and we drove to Stonehenge and then stayed in a town called Bradford Upon Avon for 1 night. The next day, we went to Bath, Bleinheim Palace and Oxford. I know it sounds crazy but we were only able to do this because we had a car. We then stayed in Watford Junction for 2 nights and took the train back and forth to London from there. Now, I wouldn't recommend staying in Watford Junction if you were going into London for a couple of days as it's too far. I think you should look at a map and see what town is central to your Thursday and Friday sites and stay there and just drive to Heathrow on your departure day. Is that why you picked Astor? If so, that makes alot of sense to me. Have fun planning and bravo for driving on the left side of the road!

Posted by
6113 posts

Where is Astor? I have never heard of it and neither has Google Maps!

Working backwards, assuming you are taking a transatlantic flight, you will need to be at Heathrow at 9.30 for check in, so drop the car back at 9.00 am. If you stayed Oxford, Salisbury or somewhere in between, you would have to leave by c7.00 to find your way back to Heathrow.

Stonehenge/Oxford are about 1.5 hours apart, so there isn't one location that shouts as an obvious overnight stop that doesn't involve lots of driving to and fro. You may want to look at Premier Inns to have two single night stays to avoid more driving.

Driving and parking in Windsor is hideous and I am well versed in driving in the UK! Parking in Oxford city centre is very expensive - they have bumped the price up to deter drivers. Park and rides will eat into your day.

Posted by
9627 posts

I really don't know why you'd stay in London for this portion of the trip if you're going to all these places outside of London with a rental car. I can only imagine that driving a car in and out of London every day would be very taxing.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks all and sorry for the points of confusion. I modified my original post, but just to clarify, we will be in central London Saturday - Wednesday and plan to visit all of the major sites. My Luna and Simone question is in regards to that time.

As far as the road trip goes, yes, I meant staying in the Ascot area instead of the mysterious "Astor."

Posted by
1116 posts

That definitely makes more sense. I actually stayed at Luna Simone on my second visit to London and have been back a couple of times and haven't stayed there again. The hotel itself was fine- the room was small but clean, breakfast was good, bus 24 right outside the doorstep. The area was quiet and had restaurants close by and was a 10 minute walk from Victoria Station if you choose not to take bus 24. I just wanted to be closer to other sights so I stayed in Soho and then Russel Square areas next visits. London, however, has an excellent transportation system so it's very easy to catch a bus or the tube where you want to go. I'll be in London the exact week you will be there and this time I'm actually staying at a Premier Inn in Ealing. It's about a 30 minute tube ride into London but we'll only be in London 2 nights and my friend and I wanted separate rooms. Staying there made it possible for us to pay about $80 a night each.