Please sign in to post.

iPhone Apps

Mr. Steves has recommended a number of apps in his GB book, that I would be interested in downloading to my phone.
I am coming from the US, and I have been unable to download any of the apps, due to only being available to UK store, not the US one.

I have attempted to change the country my account is linked to, but it requires a payment method, which requires a UK address.

I am stumped. Has anyone else been able to download apps successfully? I am not sure if once I get over there, using a UK sim card, if that will fix things...because my Apple account will still be my own, and I will still not have a UK payment method/address. Has anyone else been able to beat the system?

Posted by
9100 posts

Which specific apps are you trying to download? Unless the it's a video streaming app with regional restrictions, most all apps can be used and downloaded worldwide. Try downloading them directly from the "App Store" app on your phone instead of via a web page link. You'll probably get better results. Don't change the country setting your account is linked to it will really screw things up on your phone.

Posted by
77 posts

Citymapper, the Tube Map, Stagecoach, etc.
The message I get is that the apps are only available in the UK Store. But, of course, it won't let me switch to the UK Store.

Yes, I have tried from both the app store itself and from the websites. No dice on either.

Posted by
9100 posts

Stagechoach is indeed only available via the UK store, but the other two I had no problems installing on my phone.

Posted by
77 posts

Yup, I was able to get Tube and Citymapper just fine, but still can't get Stagecoach.
I think what may have happened was I tried to dl Stagecoach first, and switched from the US store to the UK store, and then when I tried to download the other two, and wasn't able to get success.

Posted by
9100 posts

Switching your country setting is a catch-22. You can download a country specific app, but your US apps won't be available.