Please sign in to post.

Input on itinerary

Hello - I'm planning a trip for September, 2018 to England and would like to get input on my itinerary. I'm traveling alone, but am pretty active and in good shape. I like history, museums, and outdoor-related sites.

Day 1: Fly to Edinburgh from US
Day 2: Arrive Edinburg
Day 3: Edinburgh
Day 4: Edinburgh, then York (3 hours by train)
Day 5: York
Day 6: York in morning, then ½ day trip to Hull (family history). Take early evening train from Hull to Bath via Bristol Temple Meads (4 hours)
Day 7: Bath (might cut out Bath and go straight to London or reduce to one day in Bath)

Day 8: Bath
Day 9: Early morning train to London (1.5 hours). London for 4 nights.

Day 13: London, then afternoon train to Bruges, Belgium
Day 14: Bruges
Day 15: Bruges
Day 16: World War 1 sites, then train to Brussels.

Day 17: Brussels
Day 18: Fly home from Brussels

Thanks, Dan

Posted by
205 posts

Looks fine. Just don't tell the good people of Edinburgh you think you are in England.

Bath is an easy day trip from London if you want to do it that way.

Posted by
3122 posts

Day 6 looks like an awfully long day. Are you sure the train from Hull to Bath is only 4 hours? I'm seeing more like 4.5 hrs just to Bristol, then you have to change for Bath. Alternatively, go via London St. Pancras and again it's more than 5 hours. Do you really want to arrive in Bath late at night?

Posted by
27061 posts

If this is your first trip to England, I think there's a serious imbalance between the extremely generous three nights in Bath and the very skimpy four nights in London. London has a large number of excellent, humongous museums. Many of them can be all-day affairs (or longer). If you're re-visiting London, I still think you have more time in Bath than most would need.

Posted by
1069 posts

" I'm planning a trip for September, 2018 to England "

Don't tell the Scots that you think Edinburgh is in England!!!!!!

Posted by
7641 posts

We loved York and Bath. For York the Minster (Cathedral) is awesome. Also, we loved the National Railway Museum. Be sure and walk the historic city walls.

Bath is great, but you can do it in one day, so only need two nights there. You can actually do Bath on a day trip from London.

Posted by
114 posts

Thanks everyone. I'm going to make bath a day trip from London rather than a separate trip. Gives me more time in London. And yes I'm aware Edinburgh is not in England (neither is Brussels) 😀